Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Read This Post Before Getting Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by gsk177, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady Registered Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Its great to know I'm not the only person who doesn't see fish as "disposable" they're living animals and it agrovates me when people say crap like "its just a fish" or "it can't talk, it doesn't matter" and then there's the old "it can't reason so its life's not important", why doesn't anyone say "it can suffer, therefore it's life matters"?

Education, it works wonders if you let it. :)

Moby2BettaBuddy likes this.
  2. Moby2BettaBuddy

Moby2BettaBuddy AC Members

Randy Henniger
    May 3, 2017
    Randy Henniger
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 6s

3. Moby2BettaBuddy

Randy Henniger
    May 3, 2017
    Randy Henniger
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 6s
    Thank you for making this important point. Thanks to the mods who keep it at the top of the posts. I am new to fish pet care, and have to admit that before bringing Moby2 home, I didn't put fish in the same basket with the love and care enjoyed with dogs, cats, rabbits, mice and rats. However, after two weeks I now understand gsk177's post. My little Betta Buddy is just as deserving of quality care as any puppy or kitten. What started as a $20 impulse buy has become a passion for learning to care fir my new little blue buddy.

Sharon Wilson likes this.
  4. Moby2BettaBuddy

Randy Henniger
    May 3, 2017
    Randy Henniger
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 6s
    Well said! My local PetCo let me walk out of the store with my new Betta Buddy (US$ 4.95) and a .7 gallon all in one tank (US$ 14.95). No filter, no heater. They did suggest de-chlor, thank goodness. I an now $200 into a good hone for my new buddy and hours of online research.

5. Kannan Fodder

Kannan Fodder AC Members

Michelle
    Yesterday at 12:16 PM
    Michelle
    I work at Petco. Recently a coworker refused to sell a 6 inch fish to a customer who was going to house it in a 10 gallon tank. That coworker is now being investigated because the customer filed a complaint about the denied sale.

6. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 2:11 PM
    Tiff
    Things like that are why I quit PetCo. I wasn't allowed to refuse the sale of a ferret to a couple who told me they were flying to NY to live the next day. I knew ferrets were illegal in NY and informed them, they refused to believe me. Manager said I couldn't deny the sale, but guess who got in trouble BY THE SAME MANAGER when they returned the ferret the following day and blamed us for their missed flights.
    Also, I was given a warning for refusing to sell a customer 2 Oscars for her 5 gallon guppy tank. Given another because the other fish girl sold someone 5 guppies for a 1/2 gallon bowl against my recommendation. The PetCo I worked at had no love for any of the animals in their store. They would take tanks off the shelf to use as sick tanks and when the animals died put them back on the shelf to sell.

Anyway, just cuz it's not fluffy doesn't mean it can't feel. Fish make extremely complex social bonds, learn from each other, protect each other from predators, feel pain, feel stress and anxiety, can rationalise (studies show that if a fish observes a fish fighting with another they can determine if they are stronger than either one), and can be trained using a reward based method. They are sentient beings protected under animal rights laws in the scientific fields in many countries, yet because they can't be cuddled they are treated as if their lives dont have any value. It's horribly disappointing

7. Kannan Fodder

Kannan Fodder AC Members

Michelle
    Yesterday at 12:16 PM
    Michelle
    My GM and CADM would have refused the same sale, as would have I. There are a few who would have made the sale, but they don't really know fish, and don't know what questions to ask. On the flip side, there are a LOT of customers who know better, but insist on doing things their way because they believe they can somehow control a fish's growth rate, instincts, etc. We ask about tank size and current stock for a reason, but some people consider this an "invasion of privacy" and get all bent out of shape over it. We are SUPPOSED TO ask certain questions to ensure our customers don't end up with dead or eaten fish, and we know that not everyone knows everything about fish, and newbie fishkeepers rarely know what questions to ask before making a purchase.

Also, I can't tell you how many people confess to buying ferrets in Nevada, where they are legal, and taking to them to family in California, where they are illegal. And then there's always the odd person who comes into the store looking for venomous snakes. (This happens at least once a month.)

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Registered Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Our retailer thankfully treat us very well. They suggest only what's doable. Unfortunately I learned the hard way to not do to GBRs. I had a bad habit of cleaning my poor babies to death. I would do 70% water changes with new filters. Now that I've matured and had time to research a lot I'm building up a tank for ram fish. I really like the rams. I wish you all the best of luck with your babies.

9. Alvin28

Alvin28 AC Members

Apr 14, 2017
    Thanks for the info... appreciate it...

10. Roxane

Roxane Registered Member

Friday at 1:50 PM
    I completely agree with you, I just recently bought a 23 gallon aquarium, and researched and talked to as many fish experts as I could before I even set it up, right now I am starting off with a small school of easy hardy fish espe rasboras, I don't understand why most people don't realize that each fish you get needs to be researched.