Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Read This Post Before Getting Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by gsk177, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Heimao

Heimao AC Members

Feb 17, 2018
    IMG_1542.JPG I agree wholeheartedly! I am new to fishkeeping, but I love all of my fish! Unfortunately they keep dying, which breaks my heart.

sophiagreen likes this.
  2. sophiagreen

sophiagreen Registered Member

Sophia Green
    Jul 17, 2017
    Sophia Green
    I have to say I always fail to keep the fish alive. The tank in my house has been left empty for a long time. Thus, I hope I can accumulate more skills to be capabe of housing fish. You're right. At this time, it is not very proper for me to raise fish.

3. sophiagreen

sophiagreen Registered Member

Sophia Green
    Jul 17, 2017
    Sophia Green
    The same to me. My fish keeping dying also upsets me.:( I totally have no idea how to keep them alive. Upset.

4. xmitters

xmitters Registered Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I'm not new to keeping fish but AM new to seriously keeping fish. I totally agree with this, and also the fact that fish are treated as less than other animals, even in some states they aren't considered an animal. I have the plan to become an Animal Control Officer and will admit I'm a dog person first and was doing it for that, but having gotten into fish again after "rescuing" (or perhaps sympathy purchasing) a betta from Walmart, and having a friend who's gotten DEEP in the fish life to inform me of fish care, I've realized the "fish industry" is in dire need of change. I'm hoping when I'm an ACO I'll gain more power to fight/change things like this and to regulate better fish care. I don't plan to stand around and wait for change, I wanna make it happen. Until then, I'm enjoying every step further into this hobby.

5. Presouz

Presouz Registered Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I definitely agree I got back into the hobby totally by accident when I bought a $.15 feeder goldfish to put in a 1 gallon bowl to keep my new kitten occupied with cat TV. I did put duct tape X across the top so she could get to the it. Anyway two years later this fish is bigger than my hand and now at least 6 - 7 inches. He went from a 1 gallon bowl to a 5 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank to 50 gallon tank! And he still did not look happy! Thankfully I found a woman with a pond that had goldfish and koi and she was more than happy to be his new owner! I read month ago some Goldfish can live 18 years and get 18 inches long no more for me ! I'm sticking to guppies and glofish!

6. Etwithe

Etwithe AC Members

Mary D. Pritchard
    Oct 17, 2017
    Mary D. Pritchard
    Okay, thanks for posting this. Very interesting and useful.

Presouz likes this.
  7. Jagwir

Jagwir Registered Member

Yesterday at 10:26 AM
    Copy that.

8. MommaMeggers

MommaMeggers Registered Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Very well spoken. Also as a parent I wish that stores would not sell fish to children with out a parent present. and not intermix species that should not be in a tank together when grown. very disturbing and I had to take fish back and have a talk with the store but it doesnt help when the store does not properly train the people handling fish, and have people who should not be helping get the fish when your teenager can tell then or get the fish better and safer than the employees handling the fish!!! I was so upset!!!

9. MommaMeggers

MommaMeggers Registered Member

Apr 15, 2018
    And Thank Heavens for People like you..people who care! hugs and kudos to you!!!