Recommendations compatible tank mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
ignore my last question, My canister plumbing was too big so I had to cut it down re-cement, and tomorrow repaint,i have another week before I start stocking. So more time to second-guess my list.

The list was based on keeping the leaf fish an option for the tank, now that if def is not...

What Im keeping regardless:
2 Bolvian Rams OR 2 Ap. Cocatoides
2 Flag Cichlids
6 Skirt Teras OR 8 slightly smaller tetras (serpae,Buenos Ares, Flame, Lemon)
3 pearl gourami OR 3-5 Honey Goyurami (see question #1)
6 loaches, or 1 red finned shark (see question #2)

1)Can I swap the 3 pearl gouramis for 5 honey gouramis, is it too many? theyre about half the size of the pearls and even more shy bit shy... will it work or will the tetras/appistos/rams be too stressful for them?

2) Ive seen a bunch of yideos with red tipped sharks with dwarf cichlids... Before I gave up the hobby, the rule was you can have a single red tip shark with somewhat smaller Aggressive fish, OR peaceful/semi-aggressive fish bigger than them. Is that still the rule, bad idea to mix dwarf cichlids with red finned sharks i a unless you have a giant tank?

3)All the fish mentioned will be fine at 78-80° correct?
(the ranges on all these species vary a bit from site to site, but on a few sites, they vary alot ie pearl gouramis should be kept at atleast 82°, Bolivian Rams should be kept at 72-76°, Skirt Tetras 72-78°).

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Zebra loaches IME are a bit shy but the "perfect" size for your tank. Like I said before, get 6-8 or more if you can. & I know your looking to inexpensive fish. $4 & 4 inches, what more do you want from pretty loaches? YES!

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
going to be a nuisance again... a small LFS has Thick Lipped sunset gourami, mixed in with honey gourami, and pearl gourami... are the thick lipped sunset as peaceful as the pearls and honeys? (to me they look nicer than either)

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
Zebra loaches IME are a bit shy but the "perfect" size for your tank. Like I said before, get 6-8 or more if you can. & I know your looking to inexpensive fish. $4 & 4 inches, what more do you want from pretty loaches? YES!
I wound up with 4 Bleeding Heart tetra, one golden zebra loach (more to come as soon as t petco restocks)
-
Two question

1: I cant get food to the loach, the tetras are too quick, even with the sinking wafers. While giving flakes. How do I feed the loach?

1: I started with 4 bleeding heart tetras. tested the water 2x a day for 4 days no NH3 or NO2 So I went to an LFS added 2 more Bleeding Heart tetras. By the end if the first night, the original tetras were bulling one of the new ones. The next morning I found that tetra dead, fins and lips were bitten up. AND now the 4 tetras were chasing and nipping the other new tetra, a 25% of its tail was gone,the one pectoral was missing chunks. I returned that fish to the pet store. Any idea whats going on with these fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store