Red markings on angel fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
They do mate, fish don't care, they are used all the time to breed strains, but you don't want a strain or more fishes with these markings right ;)

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
But the fish in the pic is not a koi. Agree since they all have it, it must be normal at least for them and if it was an issue, I think they'd be showing it by now.....
I went through my pics of light angelfish and I can't find something that matches your pics, but as I've said, I have seen redness at the pivot point when they are swimming a lot quickly. Like when a pair in the school is getting ready to spawn. Angelfish aren't 'built' for that type of swimming.

I also have seen redness like that under the skin in the face area as a result of fighting (in my case). It took maybe a few months to fade but eventually it did. It didn't seem to cause him any harm. I just increase water changes for a while like you plan to do :) Keep an eye and let us know how it goes.

The leaves can influence pH if water hardness is already low, but 1 large leaf per 30 gallons won't change the pH much if at all. Oops I forgot you don't have a test. It would be good to know where your water sits at, but I guess better to be able to test the water before using leaves I guess as a precaution. Really water changes make the biggest difference. I like your idea to change 30% every other day for a while. It certainly won't hurt!

khalidmankar

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
But the fish in the pic is not a koi. Agree since they all have it, it must be normal at least for them and if it was an issue, I think they'd be showing it by now.....
I went through my pics of light angelfish and I can't find something that matches your pics, but as I've said, I have seen redness at the pivot point when they are swimming a lot quickly. Like when a pair in the school is getting ready to spawn. Angelfish aren't 'built' for that type of swimming.

I also have seen redness like that under the skin in the face area as a result of fighting (in my case). It took maybe a few months to fade but eventually it did. It didn't seem to cause him any harm. I just increase water changes for a while like you plan to do :) Keep an eye and let us know how it goes.

The leaves can influence pH if water hardness is already low, but 1 large leaf per 30 gallons won't change the pH much if at all. Oops I forgot you don't have a test. It would be good to know where your water sits at, but I guess better to be able to test the water before using leaves I guess as a precaution. Really water changes make the biggest difference. I like your idea to change 30% every other day for a while. It certainly won't hurt!
Thank you very much

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
On other websites, I have seen how angelfish breeders advise for this. Supposedly the red lines and markings are due to "spills", they can be due to several factors, the first is the PH, if you have an incorrect PH it can trigger a bacterial disease in your angelfishes called septicemia. This disease can also arise after a poor quality in the water, check your levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, then it becomes factor 2. The third factor is a sudden drop in temperature, as you can read, they are refer to the general quality of the water, check these points, discover the fault and eliminate it.

Reactions: angelcraze

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've seen similar red areas in koi angels' pectoral fins, but not on the face... They didn't seem to mind...but I'm not sure they lived as long as they might. They were gift fish & I was unsure of their age. They did breed a few times over 3 years or so, for what that's worth.

khalidmankar

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
On other websites, I have seen how angelfish breeders advise for this. Supposedly the red lines and markings are due to "spills", they can be due to several factors, the first is the PH, if you have an incorrect PH it can trigger a bacterial disease in your angelfishes called septicemia. This disease can also arise after a poor quality in the water, check your levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, then it becomes factor 2. The third factor is a sudden drop in temperature, as you can read, they are refer to the general quality of the water, check these points, discover the fault and eliminate it.
Thank you for the info
I appreciate it
I surely need to check ammonia, nitrate and nitrite level.
What is the best way to bring them to normal?

khalidmankar

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
I've seen similar red areas in koi angels' pectoral fins, but not on the face... They didn't seem to mind...but I'm not sure they lived as long as they might. They were gift fish & I was unsure of their age. They did breed a few times over 3 years or so, for what that's worth.
Thank you for the info
Did the offspring had the same markings too?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
If it is a condition, there has to be a cause, do check the pH and other parameters, though you said it has been set up for years and you change 30% every week? Is it even possible for the temperature to drop quickly ? Which temperature is it? Do post more and better pics, the pics you posted aren't bad, but like I said not good enough to see what is going on.

Reactions: khalidmankar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store