Refilling a tank with a hose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chawk Fish

Registered Member
Mar 11, 2018
I have a new 29 gal. and am in the cycling process. Since there will be many 50% + water changes in my future, I was wondering if I could add Prime conditioner to the low tank water and use a garden hose to refill. I am on public water. I am concerned about killing the bacteria before the prime works. Thanks for your help!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd be more concerned about the hose...but yes, you can add the water conditioner before all the water is in, that's the way I do it.

Most hoses are NOT safe for use in a fish tank. The rubber used is treated with algicides and fungicides. The ones labeled as 'food safe', sold for use in RVs are ok, but a standard garden hose is not a good choice.

Chawk Fish

Registered Member
Mar 11, 2018
I'd be more concerned about the hose...but yes, you can add the water conditioner before all the water is in, that's the way I do it.

Most hoses are NOT safe for use in a fish tank. The rubber used is treated with algicides and fungicides. The ones labeled as 'food safe', sold for use in RVs are ok, but a standard garden hose is not a good choice.

Thanks to you both for the info. I have the RV hose and will use it. The conditioner seems to be very efficient in doing it's job. Sure makes water changes a lot easier!

Reactions: Leocq
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store