RIP little shrimpies - a mail order tale

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenpen737

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
If you want to try again msjinkzd sells beautiful shrimp. She also packs them very very well. I have recived many things from her and am always over the moon with how they arrive.

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
It is sad when a package goes bad. I really can't say who's to blame, obviously. However, I have had outstanding success using USPS Priority Mail.

I thought that I would share my method for shipping shrimp. I have had very good luck. It is not the only way to do ship, and I hope that I don't come accross as preachy, since I'm not even licensed to soap box! ;)

I've shipped shrimp (mostly Macrobrachium shrimp) all across the continental U.S.

Here's how I pack them.

First I create a inner foam box that fits snugly inside the USPS flat rate priority box. Depending on the weather I use 1.5" to 3/4" foam liner.

I make dividers, using foam core posterboard, if the order requires more than one bag of shrimp. Think of something like a tackle box, or jewelry box, just for invertebrates. ;)

I put two juvenile shrimp per Kordon breathbag, with a large amount of boiled (and cooled) yarn floating in the water, making it impossible for the shrimp to swim about freely. This was an excellent tip I got from Mustafa at petshrimp.com, a few years ago. Yarn not only acts as a stabelizer, it ensures that no unwanted hitch hikers will arrive, for those who find snails pests.

If a customer specificly requests an adult shrimp, I only put one shrimp per bag.

I secure the bags with a knot and then use an elastic band over that.

Each bag is placed in it's nitch with crumpled newspaper, if weather is warm, I dampenit.

If the weather requires, I make slots on the outer portion of the foam liner (top and or bottom) and put the heat/cool pack there. I place metalic reflective insulation over the pack, with the metal side next to the heat/cool pack, to prevent the heat or coold from escaping directly out the cardboard box.

Prior to sealing the box I give it a shake, to make sure nothing moves. If I'm satisfied I seal the box and ship it out. The boxes are always clearly marked fragile/parishable/ live shrimp.

I only ship on Monday mornings, so my shippments never sit in a post office over a weekend. Of the ~150 shippments I've sent only one shrimp has died, which happened to be an adult.

The large volume shippments, that I make to pet stores, I always do personally. I use large plastic coolers, with a battery powered sponge filter. The coolers have been modified with plastic partitions, that have 1/4" holes drilled about every two inches.

Good luck
Kary

I hope that this helps out someone.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
It is sad when a package goes bad. I really can't say who's to blame, obviously. However, I have had outstanding success using USPS Priority Mail.

I thought that I would share my method for shipping shrimp. I have had very good luck. It is not the only way to do ship, and I hope that I don't come accross as preachy, since I'm not even licensed to soap box! ;)

I've shipped shrimp (mostly Macrobrachium shrimp) all across the continental U.S.

Here's how I pack them.

First I create a inner foam box that fits snugly inside the USPS flat rate priority box. Depending on the weather I use 1.5" to 3/4" foam liner.

I make dividers, using foam core posterboard, if the order requires more than one bag of shrimp. Think of something like a tackle box, or jewelry box, just for invertebrates. ;)

I put two juvenile shrimp per Kordon breathbag, with a large amount of boiled (and cooled) yarn floating in the water, making it impossible for the shrimp to swim about freely. This was an excellent tip I got from Mustafa at petshrimp.com, a few years ago. Yarn not only acts as a stabelizer, it ensures that no unwanted hitch hikers will arrive, for those who find snails pests.

If a customer specificly requests an adult shrimp, I only put one shrimp per bag.

I secure the bags with a knot and then use an elastic band over that.

Each bag is placed in it's nitch with crumpled newspaper, if weather is warm, I dampenit.

If the weather requires, I make slots on the outer portion of the foam liner (top and or bottom) and put the heat/cool pack there. I place metalic reflective insulation over the pack, with the metal side next to the heat/cool pack, to prevent the heat or coold from escaping directly out the cardboard box.

Prior to sealing the box I give it a shake, to make sure nothing moves. If I'm satisfied I seal the box and ship it out. The boxes are always clearly marked fragile/parishable/ live shrimp.

I only ship on Monday mornings, so my shippments never sit in a post office over a weekend. Of the ~150 shippments I've sent only one shrimp has died, which happened to be an adult.

The large volume shippments, that I make to pet stores, I always do personally. I use large plastic coolers, with a battery powered sponge filter. The coolers have been modified with plastic partitions, that have 1/4" holes drilled about every two inches.

Good luck
Kary

I hope that this helps out someone.
Well at least something good came from a bad experience this bit of infromation should be stickied! I wonder if it could be added over the classified sections under "how to ship". Thanks for sharing that Kary!!

feemia

AC Members
Mar 20, 2007
South-Central Washington
My worst shipping experience was a box of congo and ember tetras which arrived so soggy that the post office put it it a clear plastic bag before they delivered it to me.
The box was lined with styrofoam, but somehow they still managed to crush it and several of the bags split open. There were little fishy bodies mixed in with the soggy wet newpaper.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
the post originally above mine was a spambot. it's gone now.

the only thing i've had an issue with in shipping was some plants that were just sent in a ziploc baggie, with no paper towels or anything. they're still currently struggling to heal themselves in my tank, and i'm still afraid they're not going to make it. at least they were cheap, and not animals, i guess. v.v

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
Ziploc bags for shipping! I'd drive to the shipper's residence, put them in a ziploc bag for an hour, and see how well they breath. :p

southerndesert

Invert Obsessed
May 4, 2008
Arizona
www.arizonainverts.com
I ship hundreds of shrimp USPS a year and have only lost 1 shipment, even had one bag of blue pearls leak... USPS put a bag around the box and still delivered! only one died with only a quarter cup of water left and 3 days in transit.

I always use breather bags and have had shrimp live for 7 days in a semi lost order that went the long way....

I think this was an isolated incident and I rarely have problems shipping live shrimp USPS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store