ROAD TO BLINDNESS???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daniel Ho

AC Members
Dec 19, 2016
Hey guys, I've had a betta that looks as if he has an eyelid. But it's actually color growing on the eye. It seems that the past few months the color is growing over the whole eye. I am worried that he would become blind on that eye. His other eye is totally fine though. Does anyone know why this is happening?20170709_192738.jpg 20170709_192730.jpg 20170709_192839.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What are you water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite & nitrate) How often & how much water do you change? Do more! Clean water can work miracles in this kind of case. Is there any décor it may have scratched its eye on?

Daniel Ho

AC Members
Dec 19, 2016
All parameters are normal, and I change the water every week. I don't think it has anything to do with the water though. And there is a decoration, but it doesn't seem as if it was caused by scratching. Perhaps, maybe it's a defect?

anniebritney

Registered Member
Jun 29, 2017
Hello,

Please take care of the fish. The eye looks bloated. This shouldn't be a serious concern later.

Thanks

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
This is called diamond eye and is common in poorly bred/overbred lines of bettas. More common in dragonscales than in other strains, but still happens. Other can causing vision impairment, your fish is perfectly healthy. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to stop it or treat it. The best option is just to make sure he has nothing sharp in his tank that he could hurt himself on should he bump into it.
This video shows clearly what the condition looks like

Reactions: Daniel Ho

Daniel Ho

AC Members
Dec 19, 2016
This is called diamond eye and is common in poorly bred/overbred lines of bettas. More common in dragonscales than in other strains, but still happens. Other can causing vision impairment, your fish is perfectly healthy. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to stop it or treat it. The best option is just to make sure he has nothing sharp in his tank that he could hurt himself on should he bump into it.
This video shows clearly what the condition looks like
Wow this is something new! Thanks so much! This is really great info.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Wow, Tiff, I've never heard of that either. Something else to be aware of, good info!
I learned after someone who knew a lot about bettas got me to let her adopt (for free) three of our dragon scales (when I worked at PetSmart) because they were "blind" and my manager laid into me for it :oops:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store