Saltwater Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
tarheels910;
Lupin;
waynecav;
kay-bee;
et al;

Thanks for the cichlid info! Had no idea they are so varied!! I've only ever seen the basically white ones and thought, pfft!

And wow! a lot of density.

Thanks.

And thanks tarheels910 for letting me 'tangent' on your thread.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
tarheels910;
Lupin;
waynecav;
kay-bee;
et al;

Thanks for the cichlid info! Had no idea they are so varied!! I've only ever seen the basically white ones and thought, pfft!

And wow! a lot of density.

Thanks.

And thanks tarheels910 for letting me 'tangent' on your thread.
Your Welcome.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Snail, seeing we're both new to the hobby (under a year), take a marine biologist's word instead of mine. I think you'll find that they'll tell you that we aren't the same as marine life and that we can tolerate things that they can't. We can also tolerate higher doses than they can even if it is a poison to us both. Body mass, etc.
Well it is obvious that you are not "One With the Universe" as I am, so I prescribe half hour meditations infront of your tank daily, and then Sunday services at the BEST fish store you can find.

I wouldn't drink contaminated water and you should not either. If your water is polluted contact your local officials.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
ROFL.

Snail... shes not saying shes drinking contaminated water, shes saying that water that is OK for us too drink isnt necessarily good for our fish... we can tolerate much higher levels of copper than inverts can, as well as we can drink water with phosphate in it, and it would cause an algae bloom in a salt water tank...

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
ROFL.

Snail... shes not saying shes drinking contaminated water, shes saying that water that is OK for us too drink isnt necessarily good for our fish... we can tolerate much higher levels of copper than inverts can, as well as we can drink water with phosphate in it, and it would cause an algae bloom in a salt water tank...

Thank you. :bowing:

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
ROFL.

What I'm saying is that if your water is not ok for your fish, you probably shouldn't be drinking it. If it is bad contact your water dept.

People have used tap water for years in their salt tanks. To say you cannot use tap water is rediculous. It may not be optimal situation, and the water quality over years has diminished in some areas but not all. If a person is to use tap water, why not inform them on possible risks and let them make their own decisions.

Do you know how I started mine? Tap water, dirt from outside, no lights and $8.00 for 29gal tank. I cringed having to buy salt.

I had left over parts from the turtle tank, filter, heater. I read I read and I read. Skimmers, sumps, refugiums and on and on. I decided to start it anyway and it is fine today.

As mentioned at AC there are many ways to do a fish tank, do what works. If you have to start your marine tank in a bucket, start it in a bucket. With any kind of empathy towards your inhabitants, you will upgrade as soon as you can. It may even motivate you to work harder to upgrade sooner.

The dream comes alive, That is a good thing. :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store