Saltwater Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Do you know how I started mine? Tap water, dirt from outside, no lights and $8.00 for 29gal tank. I cringed having to buy salt.

I had left over parts from the turtle tank, filter, heater. I read I read and I read. Skimmers, sumps, refugiums and on and on. I decided to start it anyway and it is fine today.
There are many ways of doing things successfully I agree. But to be fair to those reading this thread with even less experience than us perhaps you should list how long your tank has been running so they can better judge if it is safe to say your tank has been successfully running under your choices. It might or might not let them make their own choice if it might work for them.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
What I'm saying is that if your water is not ok for your fish, you probably shouldn't be drinking it. If it is bad contact your water dept.

People have used tap water for years in their salt tanks. To say you cannot use tap water is rediculous. It may not be optimal situation, and the water quality over years has diminished in some areas but not all. If a person is to use tap water, why not inform them on possible risks and let them make their own decisions.

Do you know how I started mine? Tap water, dirt from outside, no lights and $8.00 for 29gal tank. I cringed having to buy salt.

I had left over parts from the turtle tank, filter, heater. I read I read and I read. Skimmers, sumps, refugiums and on and on. I decided to start it anyway and it is fine today.

As mentioned at AC there are many ways to do a fish tank, do what works. If you have to start your marine tank in a bucket, start it in a bucket. With any kind of empathy towards your inhabitants, you will upgrade as soon as you can. It may even motivate you to work harder to upgrade sooner.

The dream comes alive, That is a good thing. :thumbsup:
Is that you diving in you avatar? If so I think you should go get yourself checked for NEUROLOGIC Decompression sickness

strickrick

AC Members
Dec 6, 2007
I strongly agree with "what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another"!!!

There was a time when I would use every product on the market to make tap water "SAFE" for my tank. But I would have to say that I haven't added anything for 1 1/2 to 2 years, straight tap water for top ups. My tank has been running for 3 1/2 years and I've never had a problem. I've even kept a PB tang, copperband butterfly and a majestic angel from a 2 day move without as much as getting a spot of ich (rough couple days, wouldn't recommend). But I have a 125 gal. with at least 180 lbs. LR along with a 33 gal sump w/ caulerpa, mongroves & skimmer, Rena xp3 & xp4 as well as aquaclear 500 & emperor 400 bio-wheel and numerous powerheads.

I have heard numerous people swear by RO only but I've gotten away without even a single drop of RO water. There are many factors including amount of LR, filtration & whats in your tapwater. If you want to play it safe I would recommend RO, my system is not a 10 gal nor do I keep a keen eye for corals.

Like I said, "what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another"!!!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I strongly agree with "what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another"!!!

There was a time when I would use every product on the market to make tap water "SAFE" for my tank. But I would have to say that I haven't added anything for 1 1/2 to 2 years, straight tap water for top ups. My tank has been running for 3 1/2 years and I've never had a problem. I've even kept a PB tang, copperband butterfly and a majestic angel from a 2 day move without as much as getting a spot of ich (rough couple days, wouldn't recommend).
You said "kept" those fish. In past tense. So, what happened to them?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I would just like to interject here and then we can leave the tap water discussion behind or someone start a new thread on it...

We have to appreciate that we can only suggest what we think is best for a tank or system, that is not the only way to do it though. With regards to tap water, we have reefers on this site who have used tap water for years and have never had any ill-effects from using it. I agree its not the best medium to use, but, the point is, it CAN be used when other options are not available to us.

If someone is using tap water, and there system is stable, then so be it, it works for them. We have no right to start saying you must do this, or must do that.

Again, with the issue of copper, the thread is regarding fish/inverts, and not humans, so, can we please keep within the realms of aquatic biology, and not human biology.

Thanks

Niko

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
I agree that tap water can be used, and im sorry that i sent the message that it couldnt be??? I didnt think i was sending that message and i didnt think that Grins was either.

On that same note, I dont think the average person can use there tap water though, there are so many things that can be bad with tap water for an aquarium, that you would never imagine because you drink tap water everyday with no ill affects, which is why the human biology came into discussion. If you do plan on using tap water, i would strongly suggest that you yourself run a wide variety of tests on it, as well as get a quality analysis that should be free from your water department, and post it hear so we can tell you how good or bad it is....

strickrick

AC Members
Dec 6, 2007
Strongly agree. I didn't mean to be an advocate of using tap water just stating the fact that I don't use RO. I was told that our water supply contains many trace elements that is beneficial, not sure if its because we live right on the ocean or not. It seems to work though, I've even cut back my water changes and my water parameters all still keep in check. I would be very curious to see what kind of results others get from there taps tough.

I guess I should have re-worded "kept" a little different, I just fed my fish and there still eating so they must still be alive. LOL.

I should also mention that I have a California stingray (8" in dia.) and a porcupine puffer (7-8" long) for a little over a year now in a 75 gal aquarium. This tank as well has had no RO as well as no LR and only a couple hang-on filters for filtration. I was asking a LFS about rays one day and they said that the only way possible to keep them alive is with a RO unit. I told them of my situation and they were completely stunned, they haven't known anyone to keep a ray more than a year.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I wasn't even aware that there were ones that be kept in a 75. My son adores them.

Back to the water issue though, Joander is correct, I 've not meant to imply that tapwater can't be used. But to not assume that it can just because we as humans can drink it.

strickrick

AC Members
Dec 6, 2007
By rights he shouldn't be in the 75 gal, I'm hoping to upgrade my 75 to 125 gal. This species grows only 10 inches in diameter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store