Sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I seem to recall about 15 years ago there was a controversy about water column v.s. substrate ferts. I also recall Tom Barr weighing in and saying in many cases the best way to go is with both. I have done that ever since and for sure did it in my high tech planted tank.

Tom Barr posted here under the name plantbrain. If you do a forum search for that name, go to the last page of results and then ask to see the older ones. You will discover a treasure trove of information. The last time plantbrain posted was in 2014.

I have been feeding both types of ferts for at least 15 years, But I use Jobe's Fern & Palm Spikes 16-2-6 Active Ingredients: Nitrogen, Phosphate, Potash, Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur. They are dangerous if you are a frequent replanter. If you move plants around in the substrate or change plants, you can accidentally up root the Jobe's which is breaking down over time, you will get pieces into the water column. You will then see algae like you never thought possible. The thing about them O like best is that you can cut them into smaller pieces which means you can spot dose and regulate dosing based on the piece size.

I have used Tropica Ferts for 2 decades and through a number of incarnations. I am still using them today.

Go here, it is a great plant resource https://tropica.com/en/

Reactions: Nyk0nn

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
5D019714-2055-4CEF-A2D4-605AAA3D6CEB.jpegAdded some plants to the 20 gal mollie tank.
Java Fern, Anubis and crypts. Threw the sword in to see what would happen. If they start to turn other then new tank addition then I need to get a better light?

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
None of your plants need high light. Except for the sword, they're slow growing. I would call the sword more medium growth rate, not fast like stems usually are.

I would take a wait & see approach. You can, instead of a new light, gradually increase the photoperiod if needed. There is a school of thought that says it's the # of photons (?) striking the leaves; brighter light for less time vs lower light for longer. Go slow making adjustments. Too many ferts or too much too long lighting can lead to algae problems.

& if we didn't say, crypts often "melt" when moved. If the roots are healthy they'll come back. But it can be distressing to see some or all the leaves turn to mush. Just remove the mess, leave the roots & wait.

Thank you for moving the 3 tube thing over, I like it better already! Especially with a crypt on either side, my favs.

OK, call me lame or blind, but where is the anubias? I don't see it.

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
Yeah I’m familiar with the melt. I had two crypts in my main tank awhile back when I first started. They both melted bad and I thought they were dead, little did I know they could have came back. There isn’t any Amina’s in that tank, I’m sorry. I put them in my main when one was supposed to go in that tank. I picked up a nice piece of wood and put the Anubis’s on there. Not a fan of how I put the Java fern but it’s too late now. I have all my tanks on a 9 hour schedule except the main is only on 8 hour cause I’m fighting some black beard algae.

My main29 gal

5DC4D6B6-005E-4AFC-BDD1-0B0D1E4DCA62.jpeg

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
Glass needs cleaned and a light once over. Sad I have to remove my millennium falcon deco but I wanted a more natural look and I still kept the At-At

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh! Now I see anubias! I was confused over your main tank & the other 1.

What is At-At? You know I'm lame...

& you know I'm going to mention the too centered wood...lol. Maybe it could help hide the filter intake a bit? Lots of nice plant growth!

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
At-At it’s the walker from hoth from the Star Wars movie. I had Han Solos ship in there but I had to pitch it. Yeah only place I could put it because of the other plants. It’s hiding my sponge filter. I have 2 AC 70 running at the moment. One is on its last leg and died on me not too long ago. The other is about 4 days old.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry, I'm a bit behind in my Star Wars movies. I may have the newer 1s DVR'd, we just don't watch tv much anymore beyond sports & news.The last theater movie we saw was in 1979 Empire Strikes Back, lol

OK, 2 AC 70s on a 20g? Even 1 seems like overkill...or have I misunderstood again?

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
I have a 50 on the 20 and two 70’s on my 29 gal. I’m going to remove one since it’s been shutting off on me. Wow, I was 1. Nothing wrong with stopping on a good one, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store