seachem prime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
ahem

any thread about prime is gonna bring out the best lawyer motives in those of us who us it muahahahahhahahh

have a great nite

I use prime for my 180 sw and have no issue with it

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
:screwy: Wow.. speechless.. RO can't be used in SW? LMAO. RO/DI unit can't be used in "x" location due to the water ruining membranes? Huh? Ever heard of pre-filters and replacing them on a regular basis to save the membrane and extend its life? How about flushing the membranes on a regular basis as well?

I used RO water from grocery stores for 14 years.. never lost a fish because of it... still going to say you can't use RO in a SW tank?

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
nah im just saying that any thread about prime is good for a spat at the very least

i love it when this subject comes up

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Yes, Ace, I'm saying you cannot use RO in a SW aquarium. SW would quickly clog any non-commercial desalinization osmosis membrane. Besides, does it not occur to you that running sw through a reverse osmosis process will result in pure fresh water? How would the fish react, do you think?

The sulphuric acids that accompanies the mercuric compounds in groundwater that has been exposed to strip mining will melt a ro membrane. The toxic brew will also do terrible things to your teeth and internal organs.

I use RO to soften part of the water in my FW aquarium. I also use it to purify the water I use to mix salts with. My tap water is approved according to all standards, but these standards are too liberal. I have too much silicate, and too many organics. Mercury is not a problem.

Good luck with your prefilters, but I have my reservations about their usefulness in a salt water tank. No matter. You'll soon have a freshwater tank, after you hook up your RO unit.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
ummm i think they are talkin about making sw outta ro water not running sw through a ro unit at least if i understand that is

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Huh? Why on earth would ANYONE put SW through an RO unit? That is insane. I have never heard of anyone even thinking of trying something that dumb. I will agree though that if someone where to put SW through an RO unit it would ruin the filters. How someone would even accomplish that I have no idea since an RO unit is connected to a sink or water pipe in your house, not a SW source.

I have had an RO/DI unit for the past 2 years now.. and 14 years previous to that of running to grocery store RO dispensers to get my water, and never had a single problem using my RO/DI unit to make water for mixing my salt with. I did stop going to the store when they stopped replacing filters on time and silicates became a problem in my tank as well.. that was the last straw for me to buy my own RO/DI unit. My salinity always stays at 1.026.. don't know how I could turn my SW reef tank into a FW tank by using a RO/DI unit as instructed, by screwing into the faucet on my sink and filling a Brute trashcan to mix salt in.

Anyway.. that is getting off topic.. personally, I don't think Prime has a role in a SW tank period.. to me, its only role in the SW area is to use when acclimating a big shipment of livestock in plastic bins.. fill with SALTwater, put a couple drops of prime in, and empty the bags of fish into the bucket. The Prime will detoxify any ammonia buildup from shipping. JMO on the Prime topic.

Last edited:

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I think so three, but the comment was " RO can't be used in salt water? LMAO!" Indeed, RO cannot be used in salt water. It can be used to purify fresh water for purposes of mixing artificial salts, but that is another thing altogether, and not 'semantics'. If the writer(s) meant RO water can (and usually is) used in the marine aquarium hobby to mix with salts, that is what should be said. The fact is RO cannot be used in salt water, plain and simple. Mere semantics is not the same as the omission of words that change the entire meaning. One can complain 'but you know what I mean', but if that's what you mean, say it. Not something with a different meaning, expecting that others will clean up your sloppy language and read your mind. And, a RO unit can be connected to any pump you want, as long as there is adequate pressure. It's a big world out there, and many ro units are connected to pressure pumps, not faucets. Nobody with a brain would use RO in Salt water, but that is what you wrote. in any case, the issue was mercury, and I stand by my original statements, without reservation.

Speaking of prime, I once nursed a SW fish several inches long back from Venezuela in about a litre of water, with stops a total of three days. Water changes were not possible. Prime, repeatedly administered in small doses did the trick.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Right, I was never suggesting its use on the tank itself, but all water entering the tank. In defense of all the statements, there was plenty of specificity. Note, as a clarification in my second statement, I clearly said RO/DI "water" being used in SW tanks. Whether or not you caught that isn't necessarily my fault or anyone else's fault, with all due respect.

OT: There is, however, a selectively permeable membrane that has been used on SW tanks. It actually uses dialysis membranes. I believe the product was call Dialyseas. Cool concept, but a bit too involved for me and there were too many drawbacks (namely the indiscriminate removal of various cations). Of course, there is no way to compensate for any ionic imbalances this way, either, since it is difficult to know what is being removed and to what extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store