self starting siphon...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i dont see any reason why that wouldn't work.. but most gravel vacs on the market are easy start syphons anyway... and then there's the python which is automatic.

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
I made this contraption and just leave it in the tank. Open the valve and water starts flowing, as long as it is draining to something lower than the tank water.
water change - vac2.jpg

water change - vac2.jpg

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
It would be nice having a self-starting suction, but I seem to be doing fine with just sucking on the hose.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
yeah, that works in larger tanks, but not in my 20 gallon paludarium.

also, I've been using 1/4" airline tubing for a lot of clean up lately, rubber banded to some bbq skewers, to get into tight areas and grab detrius without disturbing the plants... the only way to start that is with sucking, but a bent tube might do the trick.

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
aww i almost don't want to tell you how to get a siphon without sucking cause that would mean your mouthfuls of nasty water were in vain.

anywho, what i do is just submerge the entire siphon into my tank so the tube is full of water. plug one end with my thumb, take it out of the tank, and point it into a bucket. simple as that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store