Setting up African Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Very informative post Tommy Gun. Thank you. :) In all likelihood, I'll be getting the fish in another state, as I am looking to move in the next few months. I'll be patient, figure out what the local water parameters are, maybe even ask for some water samples from the LFS's to test myself so I'll know what I'm working with. There are a LOT of options I want to look into... and there is even a possibility I'll be crossing over to the dark side. :grinyes: I might try to start up a 40g reef tank, as I'd love to have a marine betta. I'll likely go with some smaller schooling fish in the 55.. either african cichlids, tetras of some sort, rainbows, etc. The possibilities there are virtually endless. I plan to also get a 75g with the hopes of getting either a breeding pair of larger cichlids, or a single oscar. Progress will be slow, as money will be tight for the first while, but I'll get there eventually.

If anyone is interested in buying 6 discus, let me know. I'm hoping to find them homes, but I have an LFS I can take them to if I don't get any takers. I'm willing to drive up to an hour from 92867 to meet someone half way, though I'm up for local pickup as well. Asking $200 for the 6 fish. 2 are a proven mating pair. (several spawns, fry continued to get eaten by tankmates, haven't attempted spawning in several months)

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
I've just added some shells and a christmas tree on the top of the tank:lol:. I also cleaned up after an algae problem I've had. I'll add some more rocks to the setup when I can but for now this is it.

I have got a job now back at McDonalds again (it's better than nothing) so when I make more space I'll probably set up another tank or two. My next tank is a little 106 Litre that I bought second hand from some dude for $15 AU a very long time ago. He said It wouldn't leak but it did. I sealed it up and it's fine now. I Don't know what I'm gonna put in it, but yeah that's it for now.

Christmas tree tank.jpg Left side.jpg Right side.jpg Shell cave 1.jpg Shell cave 2.jpg

murraycod

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Nthn Victoria, Australia
Hi Pilot,
As Mod Bob mentioned, there's a convertion table link at the top of the page. I grew up with UK Imperial measure in Aust, and I'm still getting used to metric after 30 years. But, Bob's point's a good one. Refer to the convertion table, because if you ever ask for advice on things like meds, and your convertions are wrong......
You mentioned 166L being about 55 Gal.....it's actually a tick under 44gal.
Cheers mate
Greg

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Nice work - you have a particularly nice little rusty there, and your yellow lab is also a quality fish.

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Hi Pilot,
As Mod Bob mentioned, there's a convertion table link at the top of the page. I grew up with UK Imperial measure in Aust, and I'm still getting used to metric after 30 years. But, Bob's point's a good one. Refer to the convertion table, because if you ever ask for advice on things like meds, and your convertions are wrong......
You mentioned 166L being about 55 Gal.....it's actually a tick under 44gal.
Cheers mate
Greg
Haha Yeah, 55 gallon. A random guess. Don't know much about gallons. I kinda just done that conversion thing the other day. But now I'm used to seeing most people use gallons to measure their tanks, so now I can see what some tanks could be in gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store