Sewellia lineolatas are breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Wow!! Those things are so small. I would love to see killi fry too!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Wow, you've really got the hang of sewellia breeding! Poor male, I bet he's loving it...for now.

Hopefully your killies get together before you leave, it's 1 thing to have Mom keep them happy & another for her to raise fry.
They must love the water or something. Don't remember changing anything in the tank.

Well the killies are peat spawners so all she has to do is change out the peat weekly during water changes and semi-dry the peat/eggs for incubation. Really easy. I'm going to show/explain how to incubate the eggs even though she has seen me change it out many times. The main male hasn't figured out how to make the females go into the container of peat as they usually hide in the hair algae I dumped in the tank (algae fills up half the tank and it's a cheap way for cover as it doesn't die like other plants I put in the tank as it's a brackish tank:)).

Wow!! Those things are so small. I would love to see killi fry too!
The killi fry are about twice the size of the sewellia. Very small and takes me forever when I do water changes as I have to carefully pick the fry with a turkey baster while they're trying to swim away from it. Smallest fry I have seen as their eggs are pretty small too.

Congratulstions! Must be exciting for ypu

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks! It is as I did not expect them to breed. Makes it a little harder to give them away when they're so cute:)

Here's a video of a older fry. Not sure how old this fry is but probably a little older than a month. They're rarely out like this as they tend to get scared easily. (Video has no sound as the dog was barking)

[video=youtube;BzjncX-f7GA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjncX-f7GA[/video]

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Sweet!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
UPDATE with some photos and clip:
So I counted at least 12 spotted/striped fry. Not sure how many more fry there are as some are still too tiny to count.

Here are the photos. Please ignore the trash as yesterday was their weekly WC but the parents were breeding on Monday night so I wanted to wait until the eggs hatched. The parents bred again yesterday night so I think I am going to wait until tomorrow or Friday to let some fry survive before I do a gravel vac as I did not do one last WC. Makes the tank dirty and I hate dirty tanks but I want to give the fry a chance of survival before a WC. I gave more RCS away and only have 12 left unless more are stuck in the canister. Mostly females so I hope they don't breed or at least slowly. The older fry are mean to the younger ones, as you can see in the clips. They're getting pretty big too as they are about the same size as a male RCS.
DSC_0485-1.jpg
DSC_0510.jpg
DSC_0466-2.jpg
DSC_0490-2.jpg
DSC_05022.jpg
DSC_0523.jpg
DSC_0527-1.jpg

Not the best quality but you're able to see the fry...
[video=youtube;9g04vO3m1P4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g04vO3m1P4[/video]

I'll likely update on the fry next month or so as I plan to go on vacation and there isn't much growth between the weeks.

Off-topic: The killies had about 30+ eggs in the peat so I hope they have 40+ this week. A pretty good batch for their first time. I may have to remove some of the hair algae/clado so the females do not hide all the time as the males cannot find them and the live worms get stuck in the plants.

DSC_0485-1.jpg DSC_0510.jpg DSC_05022.jpg DSC_0523.jpg DSC_0527-1.jpg DSC_0466-2.jpg DSC_0490-2.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
UPDATE 5/25:
Well after a few days of a mini vacation, I actually spent some time to look at the tank. The fry have grown quite big in the few days I was gone. Colors are getting darker and I can really see their pectoral fins. Tank looks a little crowded now with the growing 12+ fry and their parents. I think I may check out some sales this weekend on a new Eheim or other equipment I may need, if I decide to stay in town or stop by some pet stores on my way to Pismo. Here are photos and clip of some present fry (I believe the fry in the photos is the biggest one out of the group so far; see the difference in the past post; pictures and video was shot before their WC so please ignore the algae and other stuff):

DSC_0524-1.jpg
DSC_0521-1.jpg
DSC_0519-1.jpg

[video=youtube;a0ePdPD4NNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ePdPD4NNQ[/video]

DSC_0524-1.jpg DSC_0521-1.jpg DSC_0519-1.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
UPDATE:
Fry have grown into juvies. A lot of territorial chasing from parents and juvies. Might move the juvies into their own grow out tank until they are sellable size. They have their parents' shape but are slimmer and patterns are different.

First three photos is one juvie (.5+"; most of the juvies are this size); last photo is of the biggest juvie at .75":
DSC_0773.jpg
DSC_0776.jpg
DSC_0799.jpg
DSC_0805.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg DSC_0776.jpg DSC_0799.jpg DSC_0805.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store