Sewellia lineolatas are breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I'll see them grow up as I am leaving in winter (January). On my next water change, I'll have to be careful not to get any of the fry as I usually don't look in the buckets when I pour out the water.

Have any of you successfully spawned Sewellia over a long period of time (i.e. several years)? Mine spawned like crazy last year over the period of a couple months, then nothing since. Just curious if They will spawn again. I've heard of this happening to a few people so I thought I'd throw it out there.
I'm not sure as this is my first breeding from my group but vanillarum's sewellias look to breed all the time. Maybe PM him about it?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I think it was these two yesterday. The male is chasing them again tonight so probably some more breeding. How long should I wait to check/clean my filter for the fry, if there is any? I was thinking 2 weeks...

DSC_0476-1.jpg

DSC_0476-1.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Well I found 9 fry so far. I'm pretty sure there is more but I don't plan to take apart my tank to look for them until a month or so. All fry were found in my Repashy dish so at least I know that they are eating. Found 8 today but put them back into the tank. Had to clean the tank as I hate messy tanks. The fish and shrimp are breeding in this tank so I hope a lot of the sewellia fry survive than the shrimps. Some photos of the fry (ignore the shrimp and fish poop):

DSC_0444-3.jpg
DSC_0445-4.jpg
DSC_0447-4.jpg
DSC_0448-3.jpg
DSC_0458-2.jpg

DSC_0444-3.jpg DSC_0445-4.jpg DSC_0447-4.jpg DSC_0448-3.jpg DSC_0458-2.jpg

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
congrats

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
My sewellias have been breeding for close to 3 years. They are in a 46 BF community tank, and I don't usually know that they have bred until I see them cruisin' around the tank. Mine eat whatever goes into the tank. Good luck.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks all! They are eating the Repashy I give the adults and algae. Asked around the loach forum and the members said I don't have to feed anything special. I just hope most of the fry find the Repashy dish :). They have to fight with the shrimps though as they also found out that Repashy is something to eat.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
My sewellias have been breeding for close to 3 years. They are in a 46 BF community tank, and I don't usually know that they have bred until I see them cruisin' around the tank. Mine eat whatever goes into the tank. Good luck.
That's encouraging. I think mine may have continued breeding, but the Panda Garra fry most likely ate the Sewellia eggs/fry. On a positive note, I did find ONE Sewellia fry in my canister the other day and placed it in my nursery tank with my WCMM fry. Hopefully it makes it.

I think I might need to get some Repashy food. I keep hearing so many good things about it.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I think your fish would love it. My old gastromyzons loved it. Actually, all my wild caught fishes ate it. Just a warning, the food has a stinky smell but once it turns to jello or frozen, it goes away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store