Should i add more fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The GingerFishman

AC Members
Feb 13, 2019
Quincy, MA
Way overstocked, like badly. I'm surprised they're all not dead from ammonia poisoning given the amount of waste they're all giving off in such a small place.

Common Plecos grow to be over 1 ft long. Those have got to go. Return them to the pet shop. They're messy because when they poop they poop a lot. This releases ammonia into the water which is kills fish. Hopefully your tank is cycled so that the nitrifying bacteria can consume some of the ammonia.

Corys need to be in a school of no less than 4-6.

Opaline Gouramis can get to about 3-5 inches. That's way to many of them for such a small tank. I would only keep 1 in that tank. You need at least a 30 gallon for that many.

Blue Botias, as mentioned earlier get big, those need to go if you're keeping that tank.

The Black Widows need more space to school and swim freely. Right now they're probably swimming in circles in a small space or hanging twitching in place in a group in the mid-upper water column.

The other fish you're interested in getting can absolutely not go into your 11 gallon tank even if it were empty never mind adding them to what you've got.

Silver sharks get HUGE in a hurry. I'm assuming you're talking about Bala sharks. These are also a schooling fish and they can get about 7-10 inches.

Clown Loaches are a social schooling fish which over the course of their lives, if kept properly can grow to a foot or so, granted they grow slow but they can't be in an 11 gallon tank.

Ideally, in an 11 gallon tank you would be keeping a semi-micro tank set up with small fish or dwarf species.

For example: You could do about 7-10 neon tetras, or ny other small tetra. ember tetras or jelly bean tetras, something like that. 6 dwarg or pygmy cory catfish, or 3-4 peppered corys tops.

then round it out with 3-4 Platys, swordtails or something of that sort, or if you like gouramis, get about 3-4 honey gouramis which stay small, or you just do 1 opaline.

No plecos, no, loaches, no sharks, no large schooling fish, no larger groups of medium size gouramis.

There's a lot of great stuff you can do with a small tank, in fact my 5 gallon micro tank is my favorite. For comparison, I've got 7 Clown Killis in there, a Sparkling Gourami (another good option for you, these stay super small and are pretty, you could get like 6/7 of them in your tank no problem, not your current tank but if you rebuild it), and a few Green Kubatai tetras

It sounds like you're new to the hobby so there's always a learning curve and plenty to learn about. My suggestion would be to go to your local book store, grab a few aquarium hobbyist magazines and read through them in the coffee shop or take them home and start to familiarize yourself more with fih species, compatibility, water requirements, sizes, and proper tank stocking - you'll take in a lot in quick time!

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
Way overstocked, like badly. I'm surprised they're all not dead from ammonia poisoning given the amount of waste they're all giving off in such a small place.

Common Plecos grow to be over 1 ft long. Those have got to go. Return them to the pet shop. They're messy because when they poop they poop a lot. This releases ammonia into the water which is kills fish. Hopefully your tank is cycled so that the nitrifying bacteria can consume some of the ammonia.

Corys need to be in a school of no less than 4-6.

Opaline Gouramis can get to about 3-5 inches. That's way to many of them for such a small tank. I would only keep 1 in that tank. You need at least a 30 gallon for that many.

Blue Botias, as mentioned earlier get big, those need to go if you're keeping that tank.

The Black Widows need more space to school and swim freely. Right now they're probably swimming in circles in a small space or hanging twitching in place in a group in the mid-upper water column.

The other fish you're interested in getting can absolutely not go into your 11 gallon tank even if it were empty never mind adding them to what you've got.

Silver sharks get HUGE in a hurry. I'm assuming you're talking about Bala sharks. These are also a schooling fish and they can get about 7-10 inches.

Clown Loaches are a social schooling fish which over the course of their lives, if kept properly can grow to a foot or so, granted they grow slow but they can't be in an 11 gallon tank.

Ideally, in an 11 gallon tank you would be keeping a semi-micro tank set up with small fish or dwarf species.

For example: You could do about 7-10 neon tetras, or ny other small tetra. ember tetras or jelly bean tetras, something like that. 6 dwarg or pygmy cory catfish, or 3-4 peppered corys tops.

then round it out with 3-4 Platys, swordtails or something of that sort, or if you like gouramis, get about 3-4 honey gouramis which stay small, or you just do 1 opaline.

No plecos, no, loaches, no sharks, no large schooling fish, no larger groups of medium size gouramis.

There's a lot of great stuff you can do with a small tank, in fact my 5 gallon micro tank is my favorite. For comparison, I've got 7 Clown Killis in there, a Sparkling Gourami (another good option for you, these stay super small and are pretty, you could get like 6/7 of them in your tank no problem, not your current tank but if you rebuild it), and a few Green Kubatai tetras

It sounds like you're new to the hobby so there's always a learning curve and plenty to learn about. My suggestion would be to go to your local book store, grab a few aquarium hobbyist magazines and read through them in the coffee shop or take them home and start to familiarize yourself more with fih species, compatibility, water requirements, sizes, and proper tank stocking - you'll take in a lot in quick time!
Thats a lot of words ?.
Anyway it was a mistake like you sad ,but it was my first tank so im justified . My tank was cycled and ammonia isnt a problem cause i have 2 powerful filters. I bought the fishes 2 months ago and i wont turn them back! And btw my fish are happy and healthy. Anyway thnx for the information , i will consider that when i get another fish tank.

The GingerFishman

AC Members
Feb 13, 2019
Quincy, MA
Thats a lot of words ?.
Anyway it was a mistake like you sad ,but it was my first tank so im justified . My tank was cycled and ammonia isnt a problem cause i have 2 powerful filters. I bought the fishes 2 months ago and i wont turn them back! And btw my fish are happy and healthy. Anyway thnx for the information , i will consider that when i get another fish tank.
Keep in mind that filters don't remove ammonia, they just keep the water clear and clean by sucking up debris and waste in the water. The beneficial bacteria is the only thing that consumes the ammonia which your primary colonies typically lives in your filter media, which it then converts to nitrite which is still deadly to fish, other bacteria converts it then into nitrate which in normal levels won't harm the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store