Shrimps dying. What are these crazy microscopic bugs ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jennfier

..o0o..o0o..
Aug 22, 2006
SW Ohio
www.aquariacentral.com
I've been losing adult female red cherry shrimps about 1-2 every other day for the past week with seemingly increasing frequency. Water is completely fine: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm, pH 8. WC once a week. 10g. Some java moss, very little substrate.

In the past week of so, I've noticed 2 things. More and more little pin prick size 'bugs' dashing about the bottom of the tank in clusters. Some float then crawl around the tank walls.

I've read about nematodes, hydras and planaria but none seem to fit.

These are whitish/grayish (not reddish like nematodes), very fast and move like busy ants, except with no aim (unlike hydras which I assume are suctioned in place and move slowly) and they look like microscopic ADHD ticks (very unlike planaria's slug-like look). They dash about in circles and sometimes float until they hit a wall then crawls around it.

I thought they were newly laid shrimp eggs but now I read that newborns look exactly like shrimps, not bugs.

When I put in a cucumber slice, a lot of these bugs attach onto it within minutes, alongside the shrimps. However, the vast majority of the bugs are still dancing in circles nearby, even after a whole day has passed.

Also, when the minimal substrate is disturbed (during WC) I see very thin white worms floating about. They're about 5-6mm long, less than 1/2 mm thick, tend to float around and jerk to get where they want sometimes. They don't attach to the wall but usually end back up on the floor.

I only have RCS + some babies, and a few of pond snails along w/ a handful of Java moss.

The dead shrimp are not more than 1" long, so unlikely to be dying from old age ? I got them about 1 month ago. No idea how old.

Help ! Should I gravel vac all these critters out right this minute ?

Thanks

Without a microscope or magnifying glass, does anyone have a guess ?

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
It sounds like you need to up the gravel vacuuming/PWC and maybe feed a bit less.

It's hard to say what the critters are, without pictures.

RolandArthur

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Perhaps it would help to put in some fish as natural enemies for the little critters? Most fish go crazy on moving critters.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
sounds more like fw pods.

they should not be harmful to the shrimp..my angel fry love those things.

jennfier

..o0o..o0o..
Aug 22, 2006
SW Ohio
www.aquariacentral.com
Maybe copepod larvae ?

Here are some pics, a video and a crude drawing of the critter under a microscope. It is brownish but since the microscope light is so powerful, it looked transparent.

Video:
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r110/jennsells/fish/?action=view&current=DSCN6217.flv

Pics:

(The ones floating on top are dead. They don't usually float. Dead from drying out on top of cucumber. They love cucumbers. Seems like vegetarians so unlikely to be parasitic ?)

Drawing:

So, after poring over multiple websites and pics, I can only guess that this is a form of copepod larva. If so, is it bad for a shrimp only tank (with a few shameless pond snails) ? I also have some white worms, I guess due to overfeeding (remedying that).

Could either kill shrimp ? I haven't had any deaths since. I've been luring the 'larvae' to cucumber slices and taking them out; also sucking them out manually w/ a turkey baster. Needless ?

Thanks much :)

jennfier

..o0o..o0o..
Aug 22, 2006
SW Ohio
www.aquariacentral.com
Also:

1. How to get rid of them w/o harming the shrimps (vac close to substrate has sucked up quite a few baby to teenage shrimps). I don't want to put fish in there that would eat the baby shrimps.

2. How could they have gotten there and how to keep them from returning or reproducing into infestation level ?

3. Can white worms kill shrimps ?

RolandArthur

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
For a year or two I had a planted tank without fish. More acurately, the tank was left at my parents house and after the last fish died none were added. I found some interesting small creatures in the tank. They were about 0,1 mm (100 micron) and therefore hard to see. At that time there were only plants and snails in the tank, the little buggers seemed to eat the living plants, starting at the edges of the leaves, unlike the snails. The snail ate the algea and rotting stuff on the substrate.

To make the tank more atractive for my mom I added 5 tetra's. The little critters eating the plants disappeared quite fast, the tetra's lived there another 3-5 years without much food added in the form of flakes.

The small bugs I had then were to small to be caracterized. They were about 0,1 mm big, usually formed small swarms around leaves of plants but mostly lived in places in the substrate with a lot of debris. I never bothered to find out exactly what they were.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
If the body is encased in a "clamshell", you have ostracods. Nice drawing! I don't think they will hurt the shrimp, and you can control their numbers by not overfeeding.

jennfier

..o0o..o0o..
Aug 22, 2006
SW Ohio
www.aquariacentral.com
OSTRACODS !

Thank you, soobie ! My husband drew that picture and when I showed him some pictures of the ostracod (cypris) on the internet, he positively identified it - 100%. (He was the one who looked at it under a microscope).

I'm new to shrimp-ing so may have overfed some. Don't quite know how much those baby shrimps eat - I have maybe 10 adults and a couple dozen babies right now. Is it ok to feed every 3rd day without starving the babies ? With fish, I skip a day each week.

Thanks again, everyone! I hate not knowing what I'm looking at, especially when they're dancing around in clusters having a jolly good time. ;)

Here are the pics found from this website, in case anyone is interested:
http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol/crustac/ostraco/ostr0100.htm

They are quite beautiful creatures when pictured this way..

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store