Sick angel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
I upgraded my planted 37 to a 55 today. The fish went into a 15 gallon tub with some of my plants, the bio-max from my filter, and an airstone under the bio-max. The 4 gouramis seem to be doing fine aside from some shyness. My angel, however, looks sick. He eats and his fins aren't clamped, but it looks like he has some kind of film that's peeling from him. Does anyone recognize this? He was the picture of health before the move.

magafish18

AC Members
Jul 4, 2006
Clarkston MI
im not sure how he got it but the cure i know. treat the entire tank with fungicide to cure an outbreack. Determine the intial cause of the fungal attack, such as poor condititons or injuries from fighting, and rectify it.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
how long have they been in there? have you tested the water for ammonia and nitrite?

i suspect the shock of moving them, combined with water quality (I'm guessing there will be ammonia or at least nitrite) is what's causing your angel to ail.

good job moving the filter media from your old tank, but i suspect it wasn't enough. that's just my guess if it happened so suddenly. even though the bacteria on the old filter will help, the new tank still needed to cycle. the bacteria do not establish immediately.

DON'T USE A CHEMICAL FUNGICIDE. even Melafix or Pimafix, while more natural, may not do anything but compromise water quality at this point. I personally don't think it's fungus, but you can see what other people's opinions are. I wouldn't rely on just one person's advice.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I'd tend to think its injury related.

4 Gouramis and an Angel stressed out in a 15 gallon tub.

I'd tend to think there were some squabbling.

Can you QT the Angel?

Maybe back into the 15 gallon tub? I say the 15 because it will be cheaper to medicate/ or do numerous water changes. As long as you have a filter you can use on it.

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
Water parameters are fine. I've only had one issue with cycling of a tank upgrade and that was due to me not keeping the filter media wet. I kept this wet (and aerated) and I reused all of my substrate. This is 4th time I've moved the angel to a new tank since December, but the first time with the Gouramis. I don't have a QT. More importantly, I only have one filter. What's the word on medication? Yay or nay?

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
It looks like a lot of scales have been torn off. I wouldn't add any medication until you find out exactly what's wrong with him/her. It's stomach does look a little sunk in though. Here is a picture of my female you can see how her stomach is full compared to yours.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Looks like stress.

the angel may be sluffing off slime coating.

the stress could be related to the gouramis. what species of gouramis? some like to nip.
when you moved the fish..did you go from 37 to tub to new 55 tank?

I doubt if ammonia is the culprit..no time to build it up.

I expect that the existing tank was fine ..did you take water from the 37 to the 15 tub? you added the bios'(good) then moved stuff to the 55?

how was the temp in the move?

stress could cause issues down the road..the fish tend to get weak and more likely to get infections.
best to maintain an close eye, keep the water clean.

give the fish a chance to settle in..if it starts to spread I would suspect bacterial infection has set in..
but for now It looks like stress.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store