SIck betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
Hello. Tuesday I noticed my betta seemed bit a lethargic so I decided to completely replace the water and give it fresh clean water. After that he seemed to get worse. He has been very lethargic and labored breathing. He has been laying at the bottom sideways and kind of curved. Sometimes he stays kind of straight at the bottom. Looks like he does does have some mild fin rot. I am worried. I have had him for 2 years now. It has been about 2 days now and he doesn't seem to get any better. I thought of buying metafix but I have seen negatives reviews on it. Fish tank temp is around 78-80 degrees. I do have some betta salt but I did not add any. Any advice what could my fish's problem is? What can I do to help? Please help.

Reactions: TeaThyme

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hello. Tuesday I noticed my betta seemed bit a lethargic so I decided to completely replace the water and give it fresh clean water. After that he seemed to get worse. He has been very lethargic and labored breathing. He has been laying at the bottom sideways and kind of curved. Sometimes he stays kind of straight at the bottom. Looks like he does does have some mild fin rot. I am worried. I have had him for 2 years now. It has been about 2 days now and he doesn't seem to get any better. I thought of buying metafix but I have seen negatives reviews on it. Fish tank temp is around 78-80 degrees. I do have some betta salt but I did not add any. Any advice what could my fish's problem is? What can I do to help? Please help.
Welcome!

Do you know what the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are?

2 years is a long time for domestic bettas these days, it very well can be just his poor little body shutting down on him with his age.

Don't use melafix or pimafix with bettas, the oils in them are bad for their labyrinth organ.

What I would suggest is actually picking up some Indian almond leaves and add a couple to his tank. Remove the carbon from the filter if you use it. You want the water to turn a nice golden colour from the tannins. Bettas often respond very well to these tannins for minor fin rot, wounds, etc. They're also sold as catappa leaves--same deal.

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
I am kind of aware of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are. I kind of figured it be because of that but I am not sure why they would be so high, I completely replaced the water. I used to have those testers but I ran out. I figured I should avoid melafix or pimafix. Those reviews made me uncomfortable. He also didn't seem sick sick he just looked like he isn't breathing right and very lethargic.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What size tank? Does it have any filtration?

Have you been doing regular water changes? Or just top offs?

You need to get a good liquid test kit.

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
It is a 10 gallon tank. Betta is the only fish in there. Yeah, it has filtration. The filtration is an air pump one. Since I changed I did a complete water the other day I did any regular water changes. I topped it off yesterday.

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
Normally I do partial water change every week or every other week. Should I do regular partial water changes?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Weekly ones of about 50% would be great.

What kind of air filter?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That looks like a perfectly good filter for a 10g 1 betta tank...but your media looks too clean for 2 years. Tell us how you clean it & how often. I think you may be overcleaning it & may be causing a "mini" cycle each time. Do you throw away the media?!? (no! this is wrong!) Rinse & reuse is the best way to preserve beneficial bacteria...& cheaper too.

Do you have any live plants? They can help & bettas like to perch on them, plus they look nice.

How about a pic of your betta, maybe we'll see something you don't.

I agree with NoodleCats, fancy bettas often don't live as long many fish can.

& I agree with Bob too, large weekly water changes are a good habit to get into

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
I just rinse and reuse the filter. I do not throw way and replace. I only rinse out the media when I do a complete water change in the tank. I just have one medium sized moss ball and it is the only live plant I have in the tank. It has been a week and did a 50% change today. He managed to eat a few pieces of brine shrimp and yesterday because they end up going to floor, he doesn’t swim to the top of the tank.

AC1E614D-0C78-4A27-A64C-17F46FA4A79C.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store