SIck betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, those are some long fins! I'm a bit concerned about the thickened looking areas in his fins. His dorsal (top) fin looks a bit clamped & maybe shorter than it should be with his very long anal (bottom) & tail. The pink bump between his eye & gill is worrying. It could just be a pic angle. & the 2 yellowish bumps near where his tail starts...I'm not sure what those are.

His tail looks in less than good shape too. I'm not up on all the newer bettas...but, well, lying down is not good.

Eating is good! Do you vacuum out any uneaten food right away? Does he poop?

I'm going to guess it may be lymhpocytes but I'm not sure at all. It's not treatable but can get to a more stable form.

I hope others have some ideas. I'm very sorry for your boy's ill health.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yellow bumps near the tail are just the part of the muscle that ends at the tail, its normal, but usually not as noticeable as this guy. He's probably a little thin and "bony" given his age.

And as for testing, it's always good to know the numbers. Sometimes some places use ammonia in our tap water, so it can show up in fresh new water.

And as fishorama brought up, how the filter is cleaned also can trigger it.

When you rinse the filter media, is it rinsed in tap water or old tank water?

I see a lot of red in his fins, definitely some fin rot going on. I'd try the tannins first but I'd suggest trying an antibiotic if after a few days there's no improvement.

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
Yellow bumps near the tail are just the part of the muscle that ends at the tail, its normal, but usually not as noticeable as this guy. He's probably a little thin and "bony" given his age.

And as for testing, it's always good to know the numbers. Sometimes some places use ammonia in our tap water, so it can show up in fresh new water.

And as fishorama brought up, how the filter is cleaned also can trigger it.

When you rinse the filter media, is it rinsed in tap water or old tank water?

I see a lot of red in his fins, definitely some fin rot going on. I'd try the tannins first but I'd suggest trying an antibiotic if after a few days there's no improvement.
tannins are from almond leaves right? I bought a bottle of it the other day and it should coming tomorrow or later today. I just rinse the media with filtered tap water.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
tannins are from almond leaves right? I bought a bottle of it the other day and it should coming tomorrow or later today. I just rinse the media with filtered tap water.
That could be the culprit.

A single betta isn't much bioload in a 10g, so there won't be a ton of bacteria as it is. Cleaning the filter under tap does kill off some beneficial bacteria, which will cause mini cycles. This will trigger ammonia spikes, nitrite spikes, even in short time frames which can cause fin rot in fish.

And yes Indian almond leaves for the tannins, bottled tannins could help too. They're very beneficial.

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
The almond leaves bottle did come in the mail today, so I ended up following the instruction and adding to the fish tank. I hope it helps. I noticed when he was trying eat food I dropped to the floor, his body becomes curved and struggled to swim to the food. I think he may have developed swim bladder disease. What does everyone think? I think it may have started happening yesterday but didn't realize until today..

FIshOwner87

AC Members
Mar 17, 2022
I just saw there dark color string coming out of his bottom part. It kinda looks Camallanus Worms. I took a picture. Can anyone else confirm? If it is, what do I do?

83462313-1BF2-43EA-8223-AB260557CA48.jpeg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Those are his ventral fins, just clamped together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store