Silver Dollar Info/Tank mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nitro15

AC Members
Nov 27, 2016
I am thinking of starting a 65-75g tank with a small school of silver dollars and maybe some tank mates. I have had some experience with freshwater fishkeeping, but i am no expert. Im also hoping I can make a nice looking environment in the tank without breaking the bank.

1. Is 65-75g enough for 5-7 SDs?
2. Good tank mates for silver dollars that are not too hard to keep?
3. What are some actually good natural looking artificial decor options?
4. Are there any plants that they wont eat?

Any other info I should know?

Thanks!!!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of SDs do you want? I've never kept them, but from what I've seen and read there's spotted, striped, red dot and red hook to name a few. I believe red hook can get more than a foot long. You could maybe do 5 SDs and a severum in a 75g tank? SDs are so darn active, it's probably best to keep any larger of a school in a 6ft tank for more footprint/room.

Nitro15

AC Members
Nov 27, 2016
I was thinking one of the species that grows under 6 inches, maybe the spotted sd's. Im still in the thinking process.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Spotted would be a good choice. A lot of oscar keepers keep an oscar with a school of them. They're kind of like a group of keystone cops scurrying around the tank and make a great clean-up crew since oscars tend to be messy eaters. The problem is, you'd really need a minimum of a 125g, 6ft tank for 6-7 SDs and a single oscar. To properly keep them anyway.

If you want to stick with a standard 48" x 18" 75g, There's options for your group of SDs and a cichlid that isn't as big as an O. Maybe a JD, flowerhorn, etc..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store