Simple DIY rock wall and cave for 5 gallon hex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I'll probably end up going mail order. I prefer to be able to pick it up in person though. The thought of mailing live fish stresses me, even though I know it works fine. One local pet store had them for a very short period of time...at about five bucks each. They don't carry them anymore.

I work on the east side of Cincinnati.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
see, everyone just needs to move to cali. then your problems would be solved: cheap tanks (big tanks), and cherry shrimp! i have over 100 right now that im looking at parting with a few soon (i have no heat packs so im not shipping right now).

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
It would be cool in a big tank, but very time consuming and heavy beyond belief. Those little stones add up quick. A large hex or narrow bowfront would be great though.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i just ordered my first shrimp from another member and was very pleased. a pair or two of heterandria formosa would look good in there too, as long as the babies were kept in check ;)

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
yes shrimp ship just fine . and would look really cool with your layout & the drawf frogs. I haev one of them in a nano 1 gallon, with about 12 black/blue shrimp . and ALOT of java moss, and a few pc of tiny branchy driftwood. it is really starting to look like a neat nano tank . I never thought . I had a few hex tanks just like this one, I have sold them now :( too bad now that I see your design I wanna try somthing to the same effect . slate rock broken into small pcs would look good too . and I would use a small powerhead and make a fountain waterfall but I do like your bubble idea too, that way you can keep the tank full. and I cant wait to see it done !! NICE JOB !!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
My hope at the moment is some cherry shrimp and a couple of dwarf frogs. I'd like to have something swimming though, but with the smallish size of the tank, that may not be possible.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Sorry for the delay, I've finally got water in the tank. I've been waiting to decide what I'll stock it with. It's so much easier to put plants in when the tank isn't full yet, but I can't find the plants I want around here. I've found someone here that will sell them, and they also have the cherry shrimp, so I can combine shipping, but I can't have an uncycled tank with the shrimp, so I'll just suffer with wet elbows.

Here's a sorta rough picture of the rock wall in action.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store