singapore flower shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maki9x

Registered Member
Jun 21, 2008
feeding rock, aka wood, aka singapore shimp

a way that i found to be effective to feed my shoal of rock shrimp is to use brine shrimp cubes, the frozen ones. they are small enough to be filtered by these shrimp and are nutrient rich. the way i do it, cause i dont want to buy brine all of the time, is to mortar some flake and/ or blood worms (or whatever you want), add water (straight from your tank), put it in an ice tray and make "micro food" ice cubes. drop one of these in the tank and it will float around, slowly releasing it goodness for your shrimp to eat/filter.
my ratio is 10/1, water/ foodstuffs. and my mix is algae wafer, flake and freeze dried blood worm. adjust your mix according to consumption, of course.

also, this my first post. thank you aquariacentral.com and its members for having me.

good luck!

Last edited:

stormomi

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
I had one before, once settled they can turn bright red and usually stay red. Mine loved jumping into the HOB filter. Once I let it stay in there for 2 months, because I thought it died and disappeared. You can leave the water level a little lower. That will increase the flow and decrease the chance of it jumping into the HOB.

pealow

AC Members
May 2, 2008
My big male mostly filters but my female learned that if she finds a wafer or pellet it is quite easy to eat from it all day long. She will stay on top of a wafer occasionally grabbing at it with her fans and pooping out of the other end. If anyone else happens along they get chased. I take the wafer away after a few hours because she produces too much poop.

Paula

maki9x

Registered Member
Jun 21, 2008

the color change is dependent on their mood, according to the journals. ive noticed that they change according to their enviroment. (on the red wood they turn red, on the brown they turn brown...) just my exp. also, the dominant male will turn reddish and stay that way until he is no longer dominant. this shrimps females will only breed with the dominant male. (its said that they prefer it.)...

maki9x

Registered Member
Jun 21, 2008
My big male mostly filters but my female learned that if she finds a wafer or pellet it is quite easy to eat from it all day long. She will stay on top of a wafer occasionally grabbing at it with her fans and pooping out of the other end. If anyone else happens along they get chased. I take the wafer away after a few hours because she produces too much poop.

Paula
lol, "you called the **** "poop"".

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
i have both females and they spend most of there time on a whiteish rock and stay red. not turned red yet. 1 of mine tried to eat a frozen blood worm once, man was she disapointed lol. she couldnt get it back out of her mouth quick enough. it was funny watching her go mad afterwards lol.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
i have 8. some are red, others are blue. i feed them flakes and colorbits with a very long custom made pipette. some hang out on the filter intakes but most hide under the driftwood and fan the water on the edges. at night i see them chilling all over the tank in the current. i wish they werent so scared to be out all the time but i do have many active fish and one 12 inch prochilodus who can be intimidating.

jenratico

Jen
Apr 8, 2008
Denver, CO
I've been intrigued by these for awhile and I'd like to put a couple in the 20high I'm starting ('course they would come after it was well established): 20g high, eco-complete substrate, planted with driftwood and some rock, 6 panda cories, and a few rams or redpoints.

Do you think this would work? I'll have the driftwood ramp up some to the output so they would have good current access.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store