snowflake Eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
I saw two snoflake eels at the store and one was white and the other was more black. They both seemed active but the white one looked more exotic.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
tankanator, im sure that you readied my little problem to my large reef tank that due to the height of the stand that it would be difficulty to find a good skimmer to fit for that water volume and if I couldn't find one after I completed the changing of the lighting on both my tanks, I would have no choice but to change the stand and go through the extra cost of having what I wanted from the start.

Now the only difference from your 180 and my 240 is that the 240 is 2' longer and 60 gals more for on either of these tanks would I ever consider to use HOB equipment.

The huge problem you have there in buying a sump with an internal attached skimmer or skimmers is that you can do nothing into possible upgrades unless you change your sump for arrant the skimmer(s) that are in this sump you have has their own fitting slot that which they slide into?

On your idea of HOB skimmers, you will most likely be running two, if not three on this tank and with most HOB skimmers I knew about to do this is not an ideal plan for the long term of your tank.

Of course there be any HOB I not know about how its effectiveness be for ones tanks, but it does stand to reason when having so large a tank that your best to have a good size sump with the best skimmer to handle its bio load.

For if I couldn't find a skimmer that looked any good, I would change the stand as well, I was a while back trying to see if any skimmer at not taller then 24" for the tank in question for I had no idea of a skimmer to handle this would be able to fit well enough without having to make adjustments under the stand.

So you would do far better too change your sump and buy the best skimmer you can afford and on your water changes, I would do 30+ gals a week instead of every other week due to your bio load and such.

texan, There will be a SFE here and there that aren`t as bright in color as the next SFE and as your trying to say I think is that it means nothing of any ill health for the eel.

:)

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
Well the problem is finding a sump that can handle 1400 GPH and I've already spent way to much on this sump, so buying another is not a option I found this skimmer what do you think?
The Turboflotor 1000 Multi (measures 7-1/2" x 15" x 21-1/4" high) includes a pump and fittings. This versatile unit can be used as a hang-on style or placed inside or outside of the sump. Only the water supply pump needs to be placed in the aquarium or sump. Two outflow boxes direct water back to the aquarium or sump. For aquariums up to 250 gallons.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
A sump has nothing much to do with the turnover rate itself other then adds to your tanks water volume for you could have any size sum p on the tank and see the same effects you now have unless you do a bit upgrading. The choice in the matter is your own for if your no wish to change this sump to buy yourself the best skimmer you can afford, your problems are only going to become much worst as the time goes by.

You readied sometimes form either myself or others that it be far best to buy from the start the best you can afford other then to buy it a little cheap and look in later years to upgrade for which in most cases the upgrading will never happen.

As for the Turboflotor 1000 Multi (measures 7-1/2" x 15" x 21-1/4" high), it may be ideal for some smaller tanks then your 180, but I would never suggest some skimmer as that one for your 180 even if your willing to buy four of those for your tank and all it would do is give you more maintenance to do on your tank cleaning one skimmer a week.

I not trust the manufactures maximum volume in gals for this skimmer for many skimmers are over rated. SO my views to one of those in your sump will improve nothing for your tank for the long term.

Please do as I did in look for your best option in sump and skimmer and make the change over as soon as you can ;)

As for over flow siphon boxes, they most can be adjusted to what turnover rate your tank would need, you only need to buy the ones that best suit your tank and return pumps filtration rate and you have to make sure that both of your return pumps are as the same in the GPH

You can either go by what my understanding be in this or your own due to what you readied from the manufactures of that skimmer. I can suggest nothing else unless your willing to do the best for your fish and if not, long term in this, they will suffer for the failures you have in this.

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
OK say I were to buy another sump and skimmer for my tank what would suggest? I like the aquac EV 240 skimmer that I bought and it was not cheap but the problem being that it will not fit into my sump the CPR sump is to tall and has no room for a skimmer plus I would like to place the skimmer as close to the outlets as possible. I do care about the fish well being and really wanted to use a skimmer but this is the second sump that I have bought and I can't seem to figure out what my other option is.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
You ask what I think of the aquac EV 240 skimmer> I would trust this skimmer over the other choice you previously made and as well, I not know of the full effectiveness of this skimmer that there are others who be best to answer that.

As for a sump, depends on what your looking to spend for one thing. For if you got much high under this stand for if you blindly buy a sump without thinking of your stand height space under your tank, you find that the skimmer wouldn't fit again.

That is the same thing I have due to one doing what he wanted and not thinking to what I best need for the tank sump he puts in left it that there be only some 6" of space to get any skimmer into this sump. Which is why im changing it all to a five foot long 125 gal sump and where the skimmer will be going, I will make sure that enough space height is there.

You also want to think what your plans will be in the long term of this tank. Like if you be thinking about managing a reef system in which case then you want to do the very best you can in having a good size sump and room under the stand for a reservoir tank for your RO water and chiller. I only thought I would mention this if you been having any thoughts on doing so.

What is your height under your stand?

Also, not concern yourself on placing this skimmer as close to an outlet for you need to have your sump where it seems to be the best possible position for it. Just don't use those cheap extension cords for I use 12 or 14 gauge extension cords from Lowes or home depot and any cheap surge protectors you using needs to be changed every number of years for they become a possible fire hazard after a few years or so. So don't wait until your smelling something burning.

Wait one moment, did you say something about your a siphon over flow box? If so, its easy then for you too remove the sump you now have for your no piping in this. You can measure your stand height under the tank and tell your lfs that you want a sump build to fit your tanks situation and have it with no bio balls. Im sure you must know what I mean that the water returns to your sump on one side where the skimmer be and your return pumps be on the other side of this sump.

Im sorry, but I do have a bit difficulties in best explaining myself at most times. I think it be best right now to learn of your space height on this 180 for it is rather difficult to explain things without knowing that at least. For your tank is a 180, you have a number or more options then I for my 240, depending on the height of your stand. Or is it that your with 24" as well?
Also if your too get the sump build to fit with leaving yourself some 10" on the sump side in order to fit your skimmer in and not right away remove your sump you now have until its ready. If you know any friends who has spare skimmers that might fit in your tank, ask to borrow it until you get this done for any skimmer right now is better then none at all.

I am concern of waste buildups with the bio load you now have without any skimmer at all. So give your stand height and im sure that many would be able to assist you a great deal in your problem.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Now just how much is it that your looking to spend on a skimmer? For is it that your a limit for what you can spend? Like I said, you are with a 180 tank and within the stand height that you have will find that you have far more of a selection in skimmers then I.

this skimmer is
Price:$499.95
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...Product_Code=AM-71016&Category_Code=Aquamedic

You can as well if your no money issues buy the euroreef skimmer:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EURO

http://www.aquacave.com/EuroReefRCProteinSkimmers.aspx

You can as well take to use the ASM skimmer G4 plus

Or you can try and go with the ATI
Bubble Master skimmer as I will.
http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/Protein_Skimmers/ATI_Bubble_Master/
I had seen photos of this skimmer in action>

Or you could take a shot with the AquaC which was as well suggested to me.
http://www.coralreefsupply.com/index.php?aquarium=skimmer_ac_ev

And the MRC Protein Skimmers I not ever used myself, but do know that they are very good skimmers.

This might help you some:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/fm/index.php

http://www.aquacave.com/ProteinSkimmers.aspx

http://www.aquatictech.com/protein_skimmers.htm

So like I was saying, for your 180 your a greater number of choices to select from then I for my 240 with a lower height under the tanks stand. It all comes down to what you are willing to spend for I had my reasons to been willing to buy that $1,800+ skimmer for it would cost more still to change the tanks stand and it would had placed me in a longer drag to when I might begin enjoying these tanks, only if I no other choice would I do that.

The problem with some skimmers, your required to have the water level at a specific height for it to run as well as it should and all you need to be sure about is that your the height over the sump to get the skimmer of choice into your sump. The 60 gal tank sump that is in my 240 setup, I believe you could have something as that, but just be sure of your height space from the sump and over head of your stand (height that is).

Also, I have a number of Euroreef skimmers in my dry storage that one was only used for not even a month if that. I could see if the pump be still working, but the problem be is that you wouldn't even be able to fit this skimmer into your sump.

If this would work out for you and with others here who would vouch for you, I could then look to trust you that I send this skimmer to you that you pay for the shipping and if all is good with it, we can then discuss price.

I three euroreef in all just setting around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store