so...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

More_Cowbell

You're gonna want that cowbell
oh. my. god.

I'm so upset right now! I went to feed the goldies this morning and they were all dead!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what happened! Last night I changed their water as usual and they seemed fine. The only difference I noticed is that they didn't eat yesterday. Even the big pig Garfield didn't eat. It was really hard for me but I looked at all of the bodies carefully and the only thing out of the ordinary is that they were all a little bit bloated stomach wise...
I'm really really sad. I loved those little guys! :(
what do you think happened? Do you think it was something in the tap water? I always treat it with stress coat and let it age before I use it for them... I don't get it. I'm a little bit worried about my bettas now. I do weekly water changes on their bowls, and today is changing day, should I switch to bottled water for awhile?

I feel like I did something wrong. What could I have forgotten? I treated their water, it was changed everyday, they had an airstone, they had food, their water was at the right temp constantly... I'm so confused!!! Could it have been stress? They were in the living room and my parents sometimes watch TV really loudly...
I'm going to do research and see if I can't find out what happened. I don't want to get any more fish until I figure it out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated:help:

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Im sorry for your loss. :(

Maybe there was an unusual concentrion of something in the water, and the stress coat didnt take it out. You know, stress coat isnt the most effective water conditioner and doesnt always condition the water all the way. I would suggest using "prime" water conditioner as many AC'ers have had great luck with it

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Sorry for your loss, More_Cowbell.

I agree that a switch to Prime is a good idea.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
This was while they were still in the 10G, right? How much of a water change did you do? Do you have a master test kit yet? What were the water parameters on the tank before the PWC and what was the parameters of your tap water? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature, etc.)

It sounds like pH or temperature shock but it could be a contamination issue. Contact your local water utility to see if there was any kind of contamination or increase in chlorine/chloramine that would not harm humans but might be harmful to fish.

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
Sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I had a MAJOR loss two weeks ago.

Lenny's got it. Get a Master Test Kit and see whats going on for starters. Be patient, do your research across the web and in several forums. There's lots of archives here and on MFK.com You'll figure it out.

More_Cowbell

You're gonna want that cowbell
This was while they were still in the 10G, right? How much of a water change did you do? Do you have a master test kit yet? What were the water parameters on the tank before the PWC and what was the parameters of your tap water? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature, etc.)
I hadn't put them into the ten yet... the water params would have been zero everything because I did a 100% water change the night before. The tap params are also zero.
I'm not sure about PH though... I haven't tested for it. Do you think that's what it was?

It sounds like pH or temperature shock but it could be a contamination issue. Contact your local water utility to see if there was any kind of contamination or increase in chlorine/chloramine that would not harm humans but might be harmful to fish
The people I called said that there wasn't any change at ALL in the water supply. That's why I'm so confused!!!

What would affect PH levels?

Thanks for the sympathy guys... I appreciate it.

~Nadia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store