Some kind of fungus???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WhisperedLitany

AC Members
Dec 20, 2008
Coon Rapids, Minnesota.
Okay, well i'm in the process of letting my 20 gallon cycle... and all of a sudden theres this weird somewhat clear whiteish fuzz on one of my decorations in the tank. is this something to worry about? I dont have a nitrate tester or ammonia tester.. which i know i should have, but i dont. My pH is around 7.6.... but i dont think that has anything to do with it.

I have pictures if you guys want to see them... but i was just wondering what this could be? The tank has been set up for a week now.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Is it on driftwood or other decor?

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
If your tank is cycling you have to get the appropriate test drops API are pretty good for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are you doing a fishy cycle or fishless? If you are doing a fishy cycle you need those drops or you won't know if you have an ammonia spike and that could be very detrimental to any fish you have in that tank. Once you get an ammonia spike water changes are essential to the fish's survival if the ammonia gets out of hand they will die even .25 although a low reading can affect the fish. Try to post a pic of what you see on the decoration would help us to see it so that advise can be rendered on what it could be and how to get rid of it.

WhisperedLitany

AC Members
Dec 20, 2008
Coon Rapids, Minnesota.
I dont have any real driftwood in the tank, nor do i have any fish in the tank.

If you cant see it , its that fuzzy stuff in between the horn area / going up the nose of the skull. Its fake ofcourse.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
It looks to me like something wasn't cleaned well before going into the tank. Either this skull or something else and it settled here, and now it is decaying. I wouldn't worry too much but I'd siphon it out with the next water change.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
No fish..fishless cycle....no test kit? Are you adding ammonia to do the cycle? Or do you think you are cycling the tank just by letting it sit there?

WhisperedLitany

AC Members
Dec 20, 2008
Coon Rapids, Minnesota.
I soaked everything in steaming hot water before i put it in the tank, so i dont know how i could of not washed something. :confused:

I am working on getting a test kit, its the fact that i dont have the money to get it right this second. When i do water changes from my 5g i add some of the water from the 5g to the 20g. I'm not just letting it sit.

I feel like a pretty big noob, but i've cycled a tank before but i had fish in it to speed it up.

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
also adding water from water changes on anoth tank is doing nothing, squeezing the filter media from the other tanks filter will help in the cycle.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Also, get some of the gravel from your established tank, put in a clean, rinsed in dechlor water, kneehi or filter media bag, and hang over the side of the tank. The bacteria in there will help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store