Sooo... My plants aren't growing... and I have no idea why.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What is the K rateing??? 6500K, 6700K??

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
6500 I think.

And good God, I've got that gravel from a friend when I first got the tank, about 5 years ago. I've never really bleach washed it, so those are cumulative algae stains.

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
LOL, sorry. Gotta cover all the bases ya know? After seeing pics I'm not quite sure that over-lighting is the problem, but photographs can be misleading.

Do you have a picture of your DIY light set up by any chance?
What sort of dry dosing schedule were you using? (Amounts and frequencies)

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Looks like you could have a Sagittaria subulata...which would account for why your "vals" are not growing ;)

Any chance you could uproot one and get a pic?
I might be able to tomorrow... I did a W/C today, so it's full up. If I reach my arms in there, itt'l overflow (I'm a big guy)

Do you have a picture of your DIY light set up by any chance?
What sort of dry dosing schedule were you using? (Amounts and frequencies)
Pic tomorrow maybe

Alternating every day

K2PO4 1/16 of a tsp (a tiny pinch) (phosphates)
K2SO4 1/8 tsp (potassium)

then

CSM+B (don't know the exact amt, but I mixed it in a 233 ml bottle, and 1 ml did it for the day.(trace)
KNO3 1/4 tsp (nitrites)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Everything you are doing seems OK. How old are your bulbs??

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
Everything you are doing seems OK. How old are your bulbs??
OP already answered that they were about a half a year old. That might account for slowing growth now, but not for the first half year. That's why I'm hoping for pics of the hood set-up. Might be some clues there. WPG is a fiddly measurement when you don't know exactly how people have stuff set-up.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
for cfl's i'm a big fan of ge daylight 6500k bulbs. they do great for me. since it might be time to change your bulbs anyway you might try that.

is your water soft? you might want to add some gh booster and see how that works out for you.

knight4th

AC Members
Jan 29, 2010
you mentioned that you used flourish excel, di you ever try just flourish, im using that in a low light plant tank, with gravel and laterite mixed in, i have a 29g, jave moss, flame moss, anubias, water wisteria, money water, red ludiwiga, and java fern and they all do well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store