South American Paludarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Amazing pics as always!

Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Do you save fallen leaves for use throughout the year?
I try to but they tend to start running dry after awhile.

I keep isopods too which feed on leaf litter. So between them and the aquariums, I go through several grocery bags full lol

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Wish I could say good news, but of course, Flippy the pleco seems to have camallanus worms, so now every tank in my house is under fenbendozole and epsom salt treatment. 3 days fenbendozole laced food, 2 days Epsom salt soaked food, 2 days normal. Will continue this for at least 4 weeks. No deaths at least but YUCK.

20221016_192636.jpg

One of the loxos, a cute little guy.
20221019_152508.jpg

Warning, not for faint of heart, very gross....

20221012_193337.jpg

• Wow

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Sorry Flippy has camallanus worms, agree they are creepy looking but great you got on top of it in your tanks.

Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Forgot I had these pics as well of the cories enjoying a Northfin Carnivore pellet
20221012_162157.jpg20221012_162603.jpg20221012_162605.jpg20221012_162617.jpg20221012_162621.jpg

I have noticed since starting treatment, Flippy isn't as bloated and I've not seen any new worms, so fingers crossed that means they're dying off. Medications are very difficult to get here in Canada, even dewormers. From what I've read, fenbendozole works fine for camallanus, or can use levimosole. I can manage to get my hands on fenben at least.

That said, they seem very large, I thought camallanus would be smaller and thinner, but these are really red worms poking out of the fish's behind which is classic of camallanus.

I also contacted the local who I got Flippy from, juuuuust in case they came from his tanks, so he could watch for signs.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Poor Flippy, you & all your fish. It sounds like a good treatment plan. Good luck! They can be hard to eliminate, in both ways. I think epsom salts are a good idea, the dead worms can be hard to poop out especially for smaller fish.

I've only had it once (knock on wood) in wild gobies. I used levamisole or flubendazole but lost 4 of 5 (sniffle). I knew the only female didn't look great but took a chance I could fatten her up...& then I saw the worms after a week or 2 in QT. I also told the guy I got them from & he offered fenbendazole but I had what I thought were better meds since neither has to be in food. I think they may have had them for a while...

I forget the lifecycle but I think they lay eggs when sticking out of the vent to be eaten & infecting other fish. I know you have your hands full but try to vacuum as much as you can...assuming the eggs sink. It's been 10 years so I'm foggy on details.

On a happier note, your corys look great!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Poor Flippy, you & all your fish. It sounds like a good treatment plan. Good luck! They can be hard to eliminate, in both ways. I think epsom salts are a good idea, the dead worms can be hard to poop out especially for smaller fish.

I've only had it once (knock on wood) in wild gobies. I used levamisole or flubendazole but lost 4 of 5 (sniffle). I knew the only female didn't look great but took a chance I could fatten her up...& then I saw the worms after a week or 2 in QT. I also told the guy I got them from & he offered fenbendazole but I had what I thought were better meds since neither has to be in food. I think they may have had them for a while...

I forget the lifecycle but I think they lay eggs when sticking out of the vent to be eaten & infecting other fish. I know you have your hands full but try to vacuum as much as you can...assuming the eggs sink. It's been 10 years so I'm foggy on details.

On a happier note, your corys look great!
Apparently the life cycle:
Lay eggs
Eggs eaten by cyclops or other crustaceans
Fish eat cyclops
Young worms mature in fish to repeat cycle.

I'm dosing the food. Best method for internal parasites.

1/8 teaspoon of 22.2% fenbendozole (Panacur C) dissolved in 1 tablespoon distilled water, food left to soak in this for 1 hour before feeding. Feed 3x a week.

Doing Epsom soaked food for the worm expelling, to prevent worms from getting stuck inside the fish. 1 tablespoon Epsom to 500mL of distilled water, and use just what I need to soak their daily food until there's no excess water and then feed.

And also garlic powder to mask the bad taste/smell.

And I've got some antibiotic food I plan to keep on hand juuuust in case I see signs after of secondary internal infection as a result of retained worms.

Absolutely no fasting days either, I want to keep their gut moving so nothing stays trapped.

And yeah, good vacuuming, filter cleaning, whole nine yards.

Lots of work, but I'd rather my fish be alive and this not grow into a bigger problem. I don't know if it could have spread among my tanks thanks to shared water changing gear, so that's why all 7 tanks are under the same regime. I'm not messing around with camallanus.
My understanding as well is meds like prazi or other external meds arent super effective with camallanus. Not like those are super easy for me to get though either.

Flippy is absolutely the only fish I've seen these worms in, but at same time I'm wary of the male that's in my rainbowfish tank who came with Flippy. He's not as outgoing as Flippy so he's hard to get a good check on. But, still. General rule with internal parasites is if one has it, assume they all do or will get.

No idea if they have been hidden silently in my tanks this whole time or if they came in with Flippy, end of the day it doesn't matter as long as they're treated.

Because of the illness in my rainbow tank, I've been doing my water changes in a particular order so that the water change gear doesn't infect other tanks from that tank.

Order I change the water:

1 the south American
2 the 135 goldfish
3 the 10g nano
4 the 5g betta
5 the anubias 55g
6 the 20g blackwater
7 the rainbow 55

And then my gear is set away to dry for the week between use.

Last edited:

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Been hard to accomplish much thanks to covid. Made it the whole pandemic without getting it, but of course the week I'm called back to work, before I can even go in, that's when I get it 🙃 but it's fairly mild at least.

Water change day!
20221117_184833.jpg
20221117_185928.jpg

Changed a couple plant locations
20221117_203314.jpg

And also a good deep clean of the filter!

Yummy, mulm before being cleaned.
20221117_195833.jpg

Then all clean and ready to be put back
20221117_202637.jpg

And a video showing the filter working

4th week of treatment for camallanus, and I'm seeing dead worms being passed finally, but still some live. So, I'm going to extend treatment for another 4 weeks. That said, I've only lost 1 fish altogether to it, an ornate tetra. It could be tons worse, so I think I'm staying ahead of it all things considered.

OH! And I had another cory spawning from this tank, same as before, except this time I was able to figure out who.

It's been the brochis!

I tried raising them in RO water, but only 2 hatched and they didn't survive past 4 days. I'll figure out the trick for it eventually.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I don't know what fish meds are available in Canada. However, if you can get levamisole hydrochloride, this is very effective against camallanus. I keep this med in my fish medication kit.
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/

The link is to the site of Dr. Charles Harrison who sell some great fish meds in the states. I also get my Flubendazole from him. He is a life long fish keeper.
Charles Harrison, Ph D
About MeStarted raising Killies in 1961. Moved from home state of Texas in 1978 to St Louis. I have a small fish room of about 45 tanks of mostly Killies and live bearers. I became interested in Parasite Control when I found my first Camallanus Nematode in an Apisto. back in 1987. I have used my chemical knowledge and experience in keeping fish to investigate and discover how to control this Nematode as well as others. I have learned much about other parasites and how to best control them over years of experience with the help of literally hundreds of aquarists who have sought out ways to save their fish and have come to me for help.
Websitehttp://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/
I hope the above is of some help.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I don't know what fish meds are available in Canada. However, if you can get levamisole hydrochloride, this is very effective against camallanus. I keep this med in my fish medication kit.
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/

The link is to the site of Dr. Charles Harrison who sell some great fish meds in the states. I also get my Flubendazole from him. He is a life long fish keeper.

I hope the above is of some help.
Levamisole isn't readily available here. There's a food that has it in it already here, but it's a little pricy for the amount you get, and I'd be spending close to $200 just to treat 2 tanks for as long as I need to dose. Fenbendozole is much, much cheaper and easier to get. Works, just slower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store