South American Paludarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Your fish are always so nice looking.

I have not had any bn now for many years. The reason was how prolific they were. I got my first in 2002 and at either the 2012 CatCon I sold all my bn. It was a few adults and maybe about 60 offspring. I could not take it any more. I was not able to sell them fast enough. I was being overrun and I had already moved into Hypancistrus zebras in 06.

So I am curious to see whatever number on the way to 50,000 it takes to get your eyes to start spinning. My final bristlenose spawn was over 100 eggs. Yikes!
I just tore apart the tank the babies are in and pulled 54 fry out and STILL didn't get all of them out. It's insane haha plecopocalypse.

20230111_213054.jpg
20230111_21305counr4.jpg

And gonna shame these guys for not eating them, no population control, even though they attempt to eat anything else that they can fit in their mouth (trumpet snails, rocks, plants, sticks, anything that hits the tank surface, etc)
20221220_1630330.jpg

I have a question relative to a tank i will setup in may - you call this a Paludarium; but i only see a branch above the water line. The reason I am asking this question is that the tank I am building will be 4ftx4ftx18 inches high and I'm trying to decide how high to fill the water and how to elevate a portion about the water level for plants (mostly crypts, hydro, anubia grown emersed). Originally i was thinking water level between 12 and 14 inches high with driftwood 14 to 16 inches high but i'm not sure that will be sufficient nutrients for the crypt - then i was thinking maybe i should pack organic dirt up to 14 inches in the back but i'm not sure if that will leach or cause problems of the fishes (my intention is to run the tank around tds 15-20 and ph between 4.5/5.5; gh will be 1 or 2 and kh 0 (peat will be used to stabalize the ph). Any suggestions or comments.
Ahh, this is technically a riparium. Different than paludarium. Ripariums feature more emergent plants, maybe a little bit of hardscape, but most above the water is emergent plants. Paludariums are more land portions compared to ripariums, sometimes only having a small portion of water.

This type of set up you are looking at could work very well with a wild betta species or even some species of killifish who like peat and such. Or, since it's a larger setup, a school of gourami species that like these parameters.

I've grown some crypts emersed, they do fine with standard potting soil ime. You may find that the crypts do fine with this setup too. Humidity matters though, gotta keep them fairly humid too. But, I don't foresee any problem with emersed crypts or anubias. And hydrocolotyle is very emerse happy, you don't even need to plant it, drape it over the wood and it'll take off happily.

Look into growing bucephalandra, ludwigia, hygrophila, pogostemon octopus, and limnophila sessiliflora emersed too, all of these are super easy to convert to emersed and will add some nice variety. Pearlweed is another super easy emersed plant.

If you need moss, Java, Christmas, Taiwan, and Phoenix moss I know all grow emersed well as long as they have a damp base to grow on to not dry out. Can place these on your driftwood if you find it bare.

Java fern also grows emersed.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I just tore apart the tank the babies are in and pulled 54 fry out and STILL didn't get all of them out. It's insane haha plecopocalypse.

View attachment 231875
View attachment 231876

And gonna shame these guys for not eating them, no population control, even though they attempt to eat anything else that they can fit in their mouth (trumpet snails, rocks, plants, sticks, anything that hits the tank surface, etc)
View attachment 231877

Ahh, this is technically a riparium. Different than paludarium. Ripariums feature more emergent plants, maybe a little bit of hardscape, but most above the water is emergent plants. Paludariums are more land portions compared to ripariums, sometimes only having a small portion of water.

This type of set up you are looking at could work very well with a wild betta species or even some species of killifish who like peat and such. Or, since it's a larger setup, a school of gourami species that like these parameters.

I've grown some crypts emersed, they do fine with standard potting soil ime. You may find that the crypts do fine with this setup too. Humidity matters though, gotta keep them fairly humid too. But, I don't foresee any problem with emersed crypts or anubias. And hydrocolotyle is very emerse happy, you don't even need to plant it, drape it over the wood and it'll take off happily.

Look into growing bucephalandra, ludwigia, hygrophila, pogostemon octopus, and limnophila sessiliflora emersed too, all of these are super easy to convert to emersed and will add some nice variety. Pearlweed is another super easy emersed plant.

If you need moss, Java, Christmas, Taiwan, and Phoenix moss I know all grow emersed well as long as they have a damp base to grow on to not dry out. Can place these on your driftwood if you find it bare.

Java fern also grows emersed.
I think i have two questions; do the crypts require soil or will they grow on wood and if i do need soil what type is safe for the fishes. Potting soil typically is fertilizer rich which can be unhealthy for fishes. The type of fishes will be predomaintly dwarf cicihld that require blackwater condition to thrive (some less common species of apistogramma); though i might add some emerald rasbora which don't belong there along with some various pencil fishes. Given the tank size i think i'm ok with 1/2 foot of soil in the back if i must but figuring out what is safe is the hard part. Also a lot of soil is not very dense and have particles that will float and 'pollute' the water. the other option is to build up inert substrate (black) and use rocks to hold it up. As for the moisture my intention right now is to try a spray bar with a pump on a timer that runs a few times a day and spray things. Bit con

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I think i have two questions; do the crypts require soil or will they grow on wood and if i do need soil what type is safe for the fishes. Potting soil typically is fertilizer rich which can be unhealthy for fishes. The type of fishes will be predomaintly dwarf cicihld that require blackwater condition to thrive (some less common species of apistogramma); though i might add some emerald rasbora which don't belong there along with some various pencil fishes. Given the tank size i think i'm ok with 1/2 foot of soil in the back if i must but figuring out what is safe is the hard part. Also a lot of soil is not very dense and have particles that will float and 'pollute' the water. the other option is to build up inert substrate (black) and use rocks to hold it up. As for the moisture my intention right now is to try a spray bar with a pump on a timer that runs a few times a day and spray things. Bit con
You're gonna need soil or substrate for the crypts. I'd go aquarium soil or other soil methods that are safe for fish, and crypts will get their nutrients from any ferts you may have to dose over time.

You can buy those misting machines they use for reptile habitats for humidity too

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A club friend or 2 has had what I call a paludarium, say 1/4 tank depth water with a back waterfall (spraybar) wall of crypts, ferns, small orchids, etc. The water portion was much smaller than NoodleCat's. I think 1 had a rare killy trio & 1 a pair wild bettas.

Reactions: jake72

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Had to move the swords to the right side with the other, the hydrocolotyle was shading it out too much lol

20230128_180241.jpg20230128_180241crop.jpg

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
You do have some overly happy hydrocolytle, looks great! Your tetras look good too
Pardon weird format

I still want to increase the ornates by a few more, but the Lemons have been developing really nice.

The hydrocolotyle is very happy for sure, growing emersed in there too. I've got a heck ton in my goldfish filter and I've got some in another tank too now. Just a crazy good plant. It's a favorite of mine too.
Pictures below.

Emersed hydrocoltyle
20221229_154136.jpg

Lemon tetras
20221229_153829.jpg

Emersed moss
20230102_150959.jpg

Hydrocolotyle
20230110_193053.jpg

Belly pic of Flippy showing her healed
20230115_161755.jpg

Emersed plants on the driftwood in this tank. Hydrocolotyle, moss, random Java fern lol
20230127_223052.jpg

Emersed Phoenix moss
20230127_222937.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I didn't realize Phoenix moss was a fissidens moss, there are a few in our hobby. I may have to ask my plant club for a start. I tried 1 species years ago but it was extremely slow growing & I think I lost track of it :(

Wow, that emerersed is different, interesting as always Noodle!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store