Stability???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Oops... I just realized I erroneously referred to SafeStart as RightStart. Blame it on a Brain Fart since I'm not old enough to have Senior Moments yet.
So in referring to SafeStart as RightStart, we can safely assume that your post got off to a WrongStart. Sounds GoodStart to me.

:grinyes:

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
But I finished STRONG!!! ;-)

Besides, Tetra sucks anyhow, mainly because of their EasyBalance product and their tank maintenance email program, so it doesn't matter if I got their product name right or wrong anyhow.. heck... it's probably better that I got it wrong so folks won't be able to find it and have to use Dr. Tim's One And Only!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
But I finished STRONG!!! ;-)

Besides, Tetra sucks anyhow, mainly because of their EasyBalance product and their tank maintenance email program, so it doesn't matter if I got their product name right or wrong anyhow.. heck... it's probably better that I got it wrong so folks won't be able to find it and have to use Dr. Tim's One And Only!
Dr. Tims is pretty expensive but I bet it does the trick. I've yet to test it, but since Hovanec was involved with biospira (tetra safestart is a shelf stable version of biospira btw) I'm sure it does what it's supposed to, as long as it has been handled properly.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Dr. Tims is pretty expensive but I bet it does the trick. I've yet to test it, but since Hovanec was involved with biospira (tetra safestart is a shelf stable version of biospira btw) I'm sure it does what it's supposed to, as long as it has been handled properly.

how can a living organism be made shelf stable?

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
:iagree:
how can a living organism be made shelf stable?
A living organism requires some kind of food to live.

What are the bacteria eating inside that bottle while sitting in the plant, back of the truck, warehouse, then store shelf until you add the (by now dead) bacteria to your tank where there is a food source for it?

I could be wrong but I am willing to wager that those who say the "instant" cycling products work are just getting lucky with no losses while doing a fish cycle.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Exactly my point. If I remember correctly, Bio-Spira was stored, handled, and shipped in a controlled environment, within a very limited time period, so as to get it to the consumer within a reasonable preserved lifespan of the bacteria.

If someone found a way to perpetuate live bacteria in a sealed container with no perishable food source, we would have the secret to immortality, would we not?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Here's an interesting article from the makers of Fritz-Zyme.
http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

...and here is their claim:
Fritz Industries pioneered a revolutionary process that decreases their metabolic activity to allow these bacteria to remain viable for six months in their package. Laboratory tests have shown that attempts by other competitors to package nitrifying bacteria with extended shelf lives have failed to produce viable bacteria, and especially, viable Nitrobacter.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
hmm.. So what the article states seems to be mostly factual, with temperature tolerances and such, that make sense. What I want to know, is what this "revolutionary process" is, if not simply controlled temperature, that can slow the metabolic rate of the bacteria.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I was wondering the same thing.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Probably some "proprietary secret"... Well, if they were to inquire me on the use of their product, I would make sure they knew that without solid proof of their methods and how they work, I would probably never even try their product.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store