Stand Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Update: Just secured a 75gal off clist last night! Can I forgo the plywood as the tank and the stand have the same footprint now?
Congrats. :)

Sorry to be such a bad influence.

Zipperpi

AC Members
Dec 4, 2013
New Haven, Ct.
Drove 1.5 hrs this weekend to pickup the 75 gallon. Upon inspection I noticed the bottom frame was cracked. I decided to not purchase it and get in over my head with a repair. Can I an ISO in the marketplace for one?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Drove 1.5 hrs this weekend to pickup the 75 gallon. Upon inspection I noticed the bottom frame was cracked. I decided to not purchase it and get in over my head with a repair. Can I an ISO in the marketplace for one?
The very reason I'd never drive ~1.5hrs for anything CraigsList unless it was very clear what I was potentially buying.

Like said, call your LFS for a price quote on a new 75g. Doug that posted above finds some unreal deals. I've never found a new 75g for less than ~$130 in my area.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I use a piece of wood (I prefer hardwood, like oak), usually 1/2" thick or more, under ALL my tanks on top of the stand. Just the way I've always done it. And I look for a piece that is 6" or more wider than the tank so I can use the extra space for pumps and other stuff. Good luck.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Just think of all the money you saved not buying plywood. Think of all the time you saved not having to cut and finish it. This sure is a helpful forum. AC is also a great place to go for investment advice if you should find yourself with any extra money. Some advise to invest in filtration, others in fish, and others in lights. Yup, there is always someone around to help you spend it if you have too much money or time.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Just think of all the money you saved not buying plywood. Think of all the time you saved not having to cut and finish it. This sure is a helpful forum. AC is also a great place to go for investment advice if you should find yourself with any extra money. Some advise to invest in filtration, others in fish, and others in lights. Yup, there is always someone around to help you spend it if you have too much money or time.
Sarcastic much? LOL

Some people like to try to save you money too. This hobby is a money pit if you go chasing down the rabbit hole which is the search for perfection. Logic will save you a lot of dough if you apply it prior to purchases rather than afterward :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Sarcastic much? LOL

Some people like to try to save you money too. This hobby is a money pit if you go chasing down the rabbit hole which is the search for perfection. Logic will save you a lot of dough if you apply it prior to purchases rather than afterward :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yep. I foubd a great deal for my apistos tank filter. I got a Zoomed 501 mini canister for $12 new at my local Petco :) just wait for the right deals. I also got my T5HO dual bulb light fixture new for $35

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
:) just wait for the right deals.
Kyle is a smart shopper. "I want it NOW!" will get you into all kinds of trouble unless you are independently wealthy. (I'm definitely not.)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Kyle is a smart shopper. "I want it NOW!" will get you into all kinds of trouble unless you are independently wealthy. (I'm definitely not.)
Sometimes the hoarding associated with cashing in on all the good deals is more trouble than the impulsive single buy. Having a better half that is also in the hobby really does not set good boundaries. Being members of a handful of aquarium societies and attending lots of events associated with them also will make incredibly cheap equipment and livestock available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store