Stand and sump construction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
Hey guys. I am currently constructing my stand to fit a sump in there and trying to make everything work and organized. So here are some pictures of my project and tank.

DSCF1561.JPG DSCF1562.JPG DSCF1569.JPG DSCF1571.JPG DSCF1574.JPG DSCF1575.JPG DSCF1577.JPG DSCF1578.JPG DSCF1579.JPG DSCF1580.JPG DSCF1581.JPG DSCF1584.JPG DSCF1541.JPG DSCF1539.JPG

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
Hey. Thanks for the comment. As you see I dont have a sump posted cause I am still working on it. The pictures of the tank you see on the bottom are just pictures with my regular stand. I plan on using regular flex tubing. If that is what you mean by plumbing right? If not please so explain. What I plan to do with the sump is a fuge. Euro Reef skimmer, and a mag 4 return pump. When I get that set up I will post pcitures. If you have any questions please do feel free to ask. And if you have any advice on what I am doing please also do share. It would be greatly appreciated.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
To be perfectly honest mate, i dont think you need any advice, you have made a real nice job of the stand....I think you may of seen the process of my full system build..Just finished working out all my plumbing..Gonna be drilling my tank hopefully this weekend, so that should be real fun...and then then i wont be far off firing up the system and then its a case of transfering over my existing fowlr in the new setup....If you have any questions on anything, by all mens, shout up buddy..

Keep up the good work, your tank looks just great mate..

Niko

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
Hey. I have a question. When I get my sump done. I am thinking about getting a UV sterilizerm but what does it really do? And would it get rid of cyno bacteria? Do I really need it? Thanks.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Whether you need a UV is quite a debating point.

What a UV actually does is control bacteria infections and paracites transfered from fish to fish....in theory...it kills of bacteria in the water column...

However, the down side of have a UV running is that it also kills off good bacteria that we like to have in the tank..Its one of them bits of kit that i think should be plumbed into the system but only used when it is needed..It is not there to remove cyanobacteria directly, but a UV can also kill off free floating algae.

The size of UV unit that you buy is dependant on the flow that you have in the tank as the unit has to match the flow to be able to kill of the bad bacteria as it flows over the blub...

I personally think we should all have one...But, this is of course just my opinion mate...

Niko

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
If I may ask. What skimmer are you planning to use atnixon? Cause I believe we have the same dimension sump. So do you mind telling what equipment are you using or what is most efficient use for this size sump for a 55gl tank. Thanks.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Am currently using a seaclone 100...not a fantastic skimmer, but it works very well for me...have to empty the cup every 3 days and the gunk it pulls out is minging...

Will be using an Eheim 1260 return pump, 300w heater and putting the seaclone in the sump...Split my sump like this...

Inlet area 8" long...Fuge area with live rock and sand 15" and 11" return area...

Ask away if there is anything else or i not answered your question right...

Niko

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
Stand issue

Hey guys sorry for the delay on this post, but unfortunately the stand I have built for my tank and the sump I have gotten for my stand I can no longer use. BECAUSE my parents said the stand was too ungly for my tank so I just sold it to my friend and the sump I have sold as well. So I have working on a small sump for the limited dimensions of 17"Lx13"Wx26"H. I will have pictures up by later this week. So what a waste what a waste. *sigh....*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store