Started my fishless cycle today...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

igotafishtank

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bought a 55 just after Christmas...it will be my second run with an aquarium, had a 25 about 15 years ago with Red Bellied Pirahna...anyway, I figured it was time to get the kids into the hobby and the 55 was a good deal in my books.

Built a fairly simple stand out of plywood and 2x4, collected a pile of rock from a local escarpment access road, boiled it all, washed the gravel, etc.

Dropped in a RFUG system that I put together with some PVC tubing and fittings based on the RTR Ultimate Overengineered RFUG. It is set up in two halves and is running with 2 MaxiJet 400 powerheads (may have to upgrade these for more flow in the future - not sure I am happy with them yet).

Filtration is a Whisper EX70 as that is what came with the tank. Filled it up with water from the tap (we are on a well), we picked up a Python knock off at our LFS and it worked awesome, it was a great $30...tossed in conditioner and let the filter run overnight...did some water tests using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit this morning and here is what we got:

PH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0.25

Is there anything else I should be testing for?

Temperature is currently hovering around 77 degrees...I had picked up some ammonia from a local hardware store and dosed it up after the water tests to get it in the 5 ppm range and now it's time to sit and wait.

Going to pick up an air pump in the next week or so to go along with the air stones and air line tubing that I pre-installed before the gravel. I will also be gathering more rock in the coming weeks/months as I thought I picked up a lot, but now that I have really gone through it all, I chose not to use some based on it's natural colouring not being what I desired once the tank was going together and I still want more rock work in the aquarium.

This aquarium will most likely be stocked with Mbuna as both I and the o'lady love the way they look, she described them as being Marine like in freshwater, in terms of coloring.

Also potentially looking for some plant life to put in there as the o'lady would really like some greenery, she says it makes it more real...current lighting is the typical double 18" florescent that would come in a starter kit, will have to upgrade that for the plants, but not sure which way to go yet.

Anyway, I am attaching a few pics of how it currently sits...

IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG

rtbob

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Real Name
Bob
I like the looks of your set up, your Mbuna should like it. You may want to consider another filter to go with the Tetra EX70 as Mbuna are messy high bio-load fish.

Some people test their water for hardness KH/GH. I never have. Other than that your testing everthing you should be testing IMO.

Mbuna will tear up most live plants as they are mainily veggie eaters. Not to say they won't eat anything else, mine love an occassional treat like blood worms or brine shrimp. Not to often though (once a week) as Mbuna can get Malawi Bloat and it can kill them.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I believe he mentioned he got some ammonia at a local hardware store. Sounds like you are on track. Just an after thought....are you sure the rocks you got were never spread with chemicals to control weeds? Just a possibility.

igotafishtank

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
how are you fishless cycling - adding ammonia or a shrimp?
I believe he mentioned he got some ammonia at a local hardware store.
Yep, dosing with ammonia...picked up Old Country brand from Home Hardware, gave it a good shake and opened the cap, didn't see foam, so went with it...took about 10 mL to get up to 5 ppm.

Just an after thought....are you sure the rocks you got were never spread with chemicals to control weeds? Just a possibility.
Can never be 100% certain, but there is (and never has been in my 33 years of living in the area) any kind of vegetation where the rocks were collected. There is about 4 feet between the road and the escarpment which is a completely vertical cliff (the other side of the road is also a completely vertical cliff - so no vegetation there either), and the only thing in the ditch is pieces of rock broken off from the escarpment. As I said though, can never be 100% certain...I tested them with vinegar and there was zero reaction, then boiled them for an hour (well really about 6 hours total for all the rocks I had) prior to putting them in.

I'm curious to why you asked, was it just a thought for discussion or did you see something in the pics? Now you have me thinking because I felt the water was slightly cloudy, but can't tell if it is cloudy or just the harshness of the florescent lighting. As well, the cloudiness could just be from remaining dust on the gravel/rocks even though they were thoroughly washed.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I read the title of your thread and felt like applauding. Congrats on the set up and it is good to introduce the kids to the hobby.

Teaching them with a fishless cycle is a great way to start. :thm:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yep, dosing with ammonia...picked up Old Country brand from Home Hardware, gave it a good shake and opened the cap, didn't see foam, so went with it...took about 10 mL to get up to 5 ppm.

Can never be 100% certain, but there is (and never has been in my 33 years of living in the area) any kind of vegetation where the rocks were collected. There is about 4 feet between the road and the escarpment which is a completely vertical cliff (the other side of the road is also a completely vertical cliff - so no vegetation there either), and the only thing in the ditch is pieces of rock broken off from the escarpment. As I said though, can never be 100% certain...I tested them with vinegar and there was zero reaction, then boiled them for an hour (well really about 6 hours total for all the rocks I had) prior to putting them in.

I'm curious to why you asked, was it just a thought for discussion or did you see something in the pics? Now you have me thinking because I felt the water was slightly cloudy, but can't tell if it is cloudy or just the harshness of the florescent lighting. As well, the cloudiness could just be from remaining dust on the gravel/rocks even though they were thoroughly washed.
Nope, didn't see anything in your post that brought it to mind, just the word escarpment. Know that depending on the layout of the formation they can at times get weed choked and some road crews use chemicals to keep the growth killed back. Just something I thought you may or may not have thought about.

BrainLady

AC Members
Jan 11, 2011
Southern California
Real Name
Denise
Congrats on doing a fish-less cycle. I just did the same on a new 55 gallon using large raw shrimp put inside the foot of a pantyhose. Went like clockwork and tank is now cycled and "no fish were hurt in the process"!! I am now researching stock. I don't want to duplicate anything I have in my 75 gallon.
I love the look of your tank, the rocks are awesome and your new Mbuna should feel right at home!!

igotafishtank

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thank you all for the compliments...

So, day 4 is here and the Ammonia level is stable...still waiting for it to drop, will continue to do my Ammonia tests every other day.

In the meantime, I added some more rock work, so I have plenty of rock in there now, enough to be within an inch or so of the water line with lots of hiding spaces and 'caves'. The cloudiness has cleared up quite a bit, my temperature has remained stable at 78 degrees and the heater seems to be maxed out.

The two Maxijets are running, but it does not seem like they are actually flowing any water through the RFUG as there does not seem to be suction at the intake of both powerheads.

So, my conclusion at this point is I will be adding more filtration as previously suggested by rtbob, I will likely add another EX70. After looking at the tank running for a few days it seems as though the width of the tank at 13" or so is hindering water circulation as it is coming out and hitting the front glass directly in front of the filter...lots of water movement on that side of the tank, not so much on the other side...if I add a second EX70 on the other side it should even out circulation and add another level of filtration as suggested...

I will also add a second heater to try to allow the first heater to not be maxed out...my thinking is the heater will only run so long maxed out before giving out, but by running two they will last longer as they will not be pushed so much. I liken it to driving a vehicle...sure a 4 cylinder would make a full size truck move, but it is going to work hard to do it and eventually (sooner rather than later) it will give up and the magic smoke will be let out...and we all know there is no kit to put the magic smoke back in.

I am also going to be upgrading the Maxijets to something more powerful to try to get some flow through the RFUG.

My only other thought at this point is vacuuming the substrate looks like it will be a chore with all the rock work in there...

igotafishtank

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
UPDATE:

Still waiting for the cycle, in the meantime I replaced the single heater that came with kit...picked up 2 200w heaters and installed them, also grabbed another EX70 for more filtration. Also grabbed an air pump, along with tubing and 3 sir stones.

I removed the RFUG for now as it just isn't flowing properly and I am now running the two MaxiJet 400 powerheads for circulation.

Last thing I did was re-scape the rock work as the previous structure had a tendency to tumble to the bottom of the tank as the kids ran through the room or bounced around as kids always do.

So, lots of air bubbles of all sizes, with the larger ones hitting the top very quickly and the power filters pushing them back down and creating a ton of micro bubbles that are staying down and floating around the tank for long periods (I have heard this is good as it allows more time for the water to absorb any oxygen from the bubbles), also have tons of surface movement and agitation.

Just waiting for the cycle so I can put some fish in there...will likely go with some Yellow Labs or OB Zebras to start...all depends on stock at the LFS when the time comes.

Still considering some plants, was looking at Java Fern and Anubias, possibly some moss balls...if I was going to try plants, would I put them in now (prior to the cycle happening - while my Ammonia readings are still in the 4 - 5 ppm range), or should I wait until the cycle is done or part way through? I was thinking if I put them in now that may give them a chance to start up before the fish get in there, but not sure how they will react to the current water conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store