Starting back up after several year hiatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
Hello friends!
About 4 years ago, I had a 75g FW setup. I've kept silver dollars, red tailed sharks, ghost shrimp (I was ALMOST successful at breeding them), ghost knife, guppies, mollies. Nothing too extravagant but still enjoyable. But I got sick of the upkeep so I sold it all.
Well, I guess I started to miss it so I'm starting back up, small for now, but am considering purchasing a 55g FW setup someone local is selling.
So, I just set up a 10g FW and a 1g FW. I always enjoyed the ghost shrimp so I bought out my LFS of all their stock, all 7 of them (LOL!!!) and bought a few plants to go along (Bacopa - Bacopa caroliniana, Dwarf hairgrass - Eleocharis parvula).
So, because this post is in the planted tank forum, I have questions about the plants I just bought. If you notice from the picture, I am using gravel (I don't have the money to go all out and buy the premium substrate recommended for plants). I also have a standard hood and light fixture on the tank. I am aware that I am probably going to need a fertilizer and better lighting if I want my plants to thrive and spread...so, here is where you all come in. I'm sitting at 80 degrees already in my tank with my heater set at the lowest setting (despite my house thermostat being set at 72), so if I get a higher quality lighting system, I will probably need to remove the heater altogether to prevent the water temp from going any higher and killing my shrimpies.
Also, what kind of fertilizer should I get since I can't afford to replace the substrate...tabs? liquid?
Also heard that shrimps LOVE moss balls, anyone have advice on keeping them?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The 2nd picture is my 1 gallon tank. Currently empty with just gravel and a Whisper 3i filter going. Blank slate...any suggestions on what to put in it? Not real interested in getting a betta.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Can't help you with your plant question, but your heater is defective. Even a oversized heater that is functioning correctly should not be going to 80 degrees on the lowest setting. I see you got a stick on thermometer. It is on the right side (away from heater), but it is still a stick on that measures the outside temp of the glass. Try doublechecking with a simple glass thermometer inside the tank.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
You might be right on the heater comment. I don't recall if I bought that heater or if it was given to me but I noticed when I brought everything up from the basement and was washing stuff up, some of the little black fish "decals" on the heater came off, indicating the heater is older than I realize.
I do plan on upgrading and updating as finances allow, a new heater and submersible thermometer are on the top of that list. Thank you for your help.
Still looking for suggestions on lighting/ferts for these plants before they start to die without food.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Better buy a new heater. That said, I think you can get by with some easy plants like java fern and crypts. They do not need super lights or fertilizer. they are nearly indestructible.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
What about the plants I just put in, though?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I doubt those plants will do well with a standard hood fixture, no ferts or co2. Looks like dwarf baby tears and dwarf hair grass...or possibly lilaeopsis.

Mark

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I already listed what the plants were...Bacopa and dwarf hairgrass. :)

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I just bought them at my LFS yesterday. Hoping with some TLC they'll grow.

In more recent news, I just acquired a 55g setup today that I MAY try my hand at a planted tank...we'll see.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Dwarf hairgrass can be pretty tough to get to grow without adding CO2. It also doesn't grow well if you just plant it in a clump and it tends to do better with finer substrate. I've had success with it with a DIY CO2 bottle, fine substrate (I used eco-complete the first time, and a sand+flourite mix the second time), and had a 25 watt plant grow bulb along with a 25 watt white bulb. Additionally, the blades were planted in small clumps of about 5-10, not as effective as planting each one individually, but it worked. We also had the Bacopa in that set up and it thrived, we were begging people to take our cuttings. Don't be surprised if you see the leaves all fall off the Bacopa, don't uproot it, they'll grow back (probably bigger).
If you don't wanna update your lighting or get a CO
2 injection system set up, I recommend sturdier plants such as Anubias, Cryptocoryne, java moss, or java fern. They grow really well in 10 gallons and don't need anything special. As for the moss ball, they're super easy to care for, pretty much just drop them in and go, but remember to squeeze them out every once in a while as they can accumulate some detritus that restricts the growth and can cause die off.

If you want to do fertilizers, I'd recommend the tabs as you only need two tabs in a ten gallon and they last for about six months. Liquids need to be added more often.
I also agree with getting an inside the tank thermometer and a new heater. You don't want to risk that one cooking your fish.
Lastly, I recommend nothing for the smaller tank other than shrimp or maybe a couple of smaller snails, even then I don't really know if its worth it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store