Starting back up after several year hiatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I just know the basics, and being a broke college student I know how to make it work on the cheap! There's so much I don't know, but I am happy I could help

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Instead of CFL you could check out LED light bulbs. They are even more energy efficient (about twice as much as CFL) and emit less heat.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
But much more expensive to get the right output for plants. . .
Yes true. Over the lifespan of the bulb they will save money though compared to CFL as they don't dim over time nearly as bad as fluorescents. Depending on brand a 13 watt LED 5k or 6.5k lamp can be had for under $15. That would be a 75 watt replacement incandescent.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
From what I've read, the wattage isn't what matters with LEDs as they put out a different wavelength than the white CFLs and the plants don't get the full spectrum of light required for growth.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
LEDs can be tweaked perfect for optimal peaks at the correct wavelength(s). Usually green is competely irrelavant for photosyntesis, but green cannot be avoided with full spectrum lights. So a special "plant growth" LED can be more efficient than a CFL. Unfortunately plant LEDs are not of the affordable kind (yet) - if they even exist as screw in bulbs.

Interesting article about LEDs if you like something scientific (mostly about corals, but also has normal plants covered): http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/5/aafeature

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've read something similar, a couple years back when PetSmart started carrying a variety of LED lights for tanks. I had far too many questions on if you could grow plants with them or not, and needed to know. If you have the resources, they are definitely worth it as the electricity savings and the longevity of the bulbs will likely make up for the initial cost of the more expensive bulbs. But if you don't have the money laying around right away, CFLs are cheaper to purchase and run.

I just recently read an article that said there are some University teams working on making a more affordable and efficient LED for plant growth.

Reactions: Duckie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store