Starting Back Up Again...Questions About Using Seachem Stability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Bacteria blooms can vary in how long they last so if you can just wait it out a while longer it should clear up soon.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Bacteria blooms can vary in how long they last so if you can just wait it out a while longer it should clear up soon.
Well I have no choice but to wait it out anyway, I suppose...

But I was under the impression, based on what I have read, that these should clear up in a couple of days on average.

Here's what Seachem told me last; can you add your thoughts/opinions?

If ammonia gets above 0.5 go ahead and do a 5 gallon water change. Otherwise, let things go as they are. Regarding ammonia spikes; sometimes it doesn't get particularly high if there's sufficient bacteria to keep concentration relatively low. Doing water changes while cycling will also keep it lower than if no water changes are done. The ammonia pad is also likely contributing.

Also:

The lack of nitrite tells me there are enough bacteria in there to process it as it's formed. As far as nitrate not increasing, that's probably due to your water changes.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I cannot offer you my experience regarding using Stability because I have never used that product. I will say that IF you see ammonia get to a 0.50 ppm level, I would change 5 gallons of water to get that number below 0.50 ppm.

It is possible the reason you are not seeing nitrite is as Seachem rep. says which is a good thing.

I am sorry you are having these issues with your new tank set up.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I cannot offer you my experience regarding using Stability because I have never used that product. I will say that IF you see ammonia get to a 0.50 ppm level, I would change 5 gallons of water to get that number below 0.50 ppm.

It is possible the reason you are not seeing nitrite is as Seachem rep. says which is a good thing.

I am sorry you are having these issues with your new tank set up.
Thanks.

The ammonia never seems to go above 0.50.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Did you test your tap water for ammonia?

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Just tested it Dudley...

I don't know what this really proved, but the numbers were:

pH: Higher than 7.6
High Range pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The reason for testing your tap water lets you know if you have ammonia from chloramine which is used by some local water authorities, nitrite, and nitrate which is common in agricultural areas. Since you didn't get a reading for ammonia, it's being produced in your aquarium and you aren't adding it back in via water changes.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
The reason for testing your tap water lets you know if you have ammonia from chloramine which is used by some local water authorities, nitrite, and nitrate which is common in agricultural areas. Since you didn't get a reading for ammonia, it's being produced in your aquarium and you aren't adding it back in via water changes.
I didn't even know that those elements were in some tap water supplies -- but when I do water changes, wouldn't the Prime get rid of all that anyway?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The usual tap water treatment is chlorine or chloramine for municipal water supplies though there may be some variations depending on location and time of year or during water line breaks or maintenance.

Prime temporarily binds ammonia for (I think) 48 hours to allow the ammonia using 'bacteria' to utilize it.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Yes, that's correct regarding what the product does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store