Starting Back Up Again...Questions About Using Seachem Stability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Until you cite a paper that is a study between nitrifying bacteria products, or one that proves Stability (and other bacterial products) doesn't work, it's all beside the point.
If I am wrong, explain this to me:
I put ammonia and an airstone in a jug with water (regular fishless cycle, smaller scale)
After X amount ammonia, an Y amount of time I have enough bacteria to treat an estimated Z amount of gallons.

How does this patent prevent me/any company from selling those bottled nitrifying bacteria, or stop them from working.

Serious question. Answer it yourself, not by saying just read the '238 research papers'.
Cause the only way I see it is you have to deny the fishless cycle works, or that everyone that did not use the Tetra product doesn't have "the right" bacteria in their tank.

Last edited:

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
This has been quite the thread...

but now that Stability process is done what do you conclude about the product Kaskade10729 Kaskade10729 . would you recommend Stability? would you say that is a waste of money?

I wish I had a test kit back when I started cycling to further study/have more proof of the viability of Stability

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
This has been quite the thread...

but now that Stability process is done what do you conclude about the product Kaskade10729 Kaskade10729 . would you recommend Stability? would you say that is a waste of money?

I wish I had a test kit back when I started cycling to further study/have more proof of the viability of Stability
I've used Stability in the past with success (i.e. didn't lose "starter" fish) so I was quite comfortable with using it again. I'm actually still learning about how it works, supposedly, via comments in this thread. That's all I can add for now.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
If Stability works, there would be no cycle. Nitrate is only detrimental in higher concentrations, over time, the reason why you are testing it is because nitrates showing up now indicates Stability works, the tank is fully cycled if no ammonia/nitrite show up, so you can stock the tank.
Right now, with 2 small fish in a 60 gallon tank, it's probably going to take a long time before you get any test result (either ammonia or nitrate)
I assume Seachem means the bacteria would come out of hibernation when they find ammonia. The idea behind the concept is, you can fully stock the tank after using the bacteria in the bottle, a couple of small starter fish defeat the purpose.
You don't have to test the pH right now, not much is going to happen.
So now I shouldn't have started out with two small fish?

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Kaskade10729 Kaskade10729 , I forgot to answer your question on pH but it's one that I checked regularly when I initially set up my tanks. However, I am on a private well and over the years it has not changed.
I see; well, we're using tap water from our faucet, and it's pretty hard...but I figured checking for pH was basically just checking for the water's chemical makeup at this point, so to speak, so it wasn't as vital as checking for the other big three (nitrate/nitrite/ammonia).

I would still monitor all the parameters for the next week or so with your 2 existing fish to see if you see any changes . A newly cycled aquarium usually only has sufficient 'good' bacteria to support the existing bio-load so stock any new fish slowly and monitor the parameters daily in case you see the ammonia and nitrite increase above zero.

You may be seeing the slight amount of ammonia, 0.25ppm, because the API test kit is picking up the less harmful ammonium. Some people see to always see that slight reading for some reason and often choose to put a Seachem Ammonia Alert gadget in the tank that can differentiate between the two.
I'll keep checking every day and come back with results so you can hopefully help me analyze them; thanks.

Reactions: dudley

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Just got this response from Seachem; seems they believe the tank is already cycled....o_O

I apologize for the delayed response; I've had some emergencies to deal with here. It looks as though your tank's cycled with zero ammonia and nitrite, with increasing nitrates. Yes, it's ok to stop using Stability a week after adding your most recent fish. If you add more fish then you'll want to use Stability again for a week.

This seems to be a bit contradictory from what the packaging on the product states, as the bottle says nothing about stopping Stability a week after the most recent fish is put in...it merely states use the product for seven days, period.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Okay -- readings I took were as follows (this is the second day since the end of Stability treatment); seems NOTHING had budged:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I can't, for the life of me, explain it...

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
So now I shouldn't have started out with two small fish?
Depends on your intention with the fish.
Okay -- readings I took were as follows (this is the second day since the end of Stability treatment); seems NOTHING had budged:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I can't, for the life of me, explain it...
The fish are too small with the tank volume being too large to get any reading as of yet. Can't possibly say it is cycled or not. That is why I recommend you use ammonia first, that would give a reading. Now it is just a matter of waiting.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Depends on your intention with the fish.
Meaning what?

My intention is for them to grow and thrive, developing mature fantails, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store