Starting Back Up Again...Questions About Using Seachem Stability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Just got this response from Seachem; seems they believe the tank is already cycled....o_O

I apologize for the delayed response; I've had some emergencies to deal with here. It looks as though your tank's cycled with zero ammonia and nitrite, with increasing nitrates. Yes, it's ok to stop using Stability a week after adding your most recent fish. If you add more fish then you'll want to use Stability again for a week.

This seems to be a bit contradictory from what the packaging on the product states, as the bottle says nothing about stopping Stability a week after the most recent fish is put in...it merely states use the product for seven days, period.
their response is the same as indicated in the package; mine does say that.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Ah I see. Do you have any plants in the tank?
Artificial only. I have raised them quite successfully in the past in these same conditions.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
their response is the same as indicated in the package; mine does say that.
1593203019028.png

Where EXACTLY does it say yes, it's ok to stop using Stability a week after adding your most recent fish?

Further, I don't understand why they'd suggest using it during water changes when all you need -- once everything is stable -- is Prime for this...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yep, & that's how they encourage you to buy & use all their different products. You don't "need" Stability after your tank is cycled, but for optimum results dose once a month...your tank is either cycled or it's not.

That's also how they recommend their fertilizers. you need 1 of every type they sell!

Look to the profit motive for what any co. recommends

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Yep, & that's how they encourage you to buy & use all their different products. You don't "need" Stability after your tank is cycled, but for optimum results dose once a month...your tank is either cycled or it's not.

That's also how they recommend their fertilizers. you need 1 of every type they sell!

Look to the profit motive for what any co. recommends
Seems like that to me, too; gonna just use Prime from here on out when it's time to do water changes...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's sounds like a good idea. Good luck & let us know how it's going. We do want you, your tank & fish to do well even if it's not the way we would have chosen.

Just keep an eye on your testing parameters, that's the best way to tell what's happening.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Where EXACTLY does it say yes, it's ok to stop using Stability a week after adding your most recent fish?

Further, I don't understand why they'd suggest using it during water changes when all you need -- once everything is stable -- is Prime for this...
1. it doesn't exactly say that, it just says FOR 7 DAYS so after the 7th day you don't need to keep adding Stability
2. they SUGGEST it. No, you do not have to

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Alright....

Someone needs to tell me what's going on here because I'm stumped now...

After fearing that my API Freshwater Test Kit was expired (I've had it for about a decade, maybe less), I ran out today and picked up separate API tests for Ammonia and Nitrate (they didn't have the complete master kit in stock) at a local Petco. When I just ran the numbers, the results were the SAME as what I get from my old supposedly expired kit, which were:

Ammonia: Between 0 and 0.25 (the fluid is pretty much yellow in color)
Nitrate: Between 0 and 5.0, but closer to 0

I don't understand this...I'm on my fourth or fifth consecutive water test and the results haven't changed. I'm SURE I'm following the directions for each test to the letter.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
1. it doesn't exactly say that, it just says FOR 7 DAYS so after the 7th day you don't need to keep adding Stability
Right -- but my response was in regard to what you said, which was:

Their response is the same as indicated in the package; mine does say that.

And their response is NOT what's indicated on the package -- I was wondering if yours said something more in line with what the rep was telling me.

2. they SUGGEST it. No, you do not have to
It doesn't make any sense to add biological bolstering chemicals when doing a water change (if you know what you're doing) in that the bio colonies should already be intact; this is where the whole "rinse your bio media off in removed tank water" suggestion comes from, no?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Alright....

Someone needs to tell me what's going on here because I'm stumped now...

After fearing that my API Freshwater Test Kit was expired (I've had it for about a decade, maybe less), I ran out today and picked up separate API tests for Ammonia and Nitrate (they didn't have the complete master kit in stock) at a local Petco. When I just ran the numbers, the results were the SAME as what I get from my old supposedly expired kit, which were:

Ammonia: Between 0 and 0.25 (the fluid is pretty much yellow in color)
Nitrate: Between 0 and 5.0, but closer to 0

I don't understand this...I'm on my fourth or fifth consecutive water test and the results haven't changed. I'm SURE I'm following the directions for each test to the letter.
I'm sure you are doing the tests right. But you have 2 small goldfish in a 60 gallon. If the tank is not cycled, it will take some time for ammonia to show up. If the tank is cycled, it will take some time for nitrate to show up.
That's why I recommended first and foremost you use ammonia. It will show up on the test and you immediately know what is going on instead of wondering what is happening, like now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store