sticky tape inside tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

4johanna

AC Members
Feb 18, 2022
Hi Thank you for letting me join the group.
I have purchased a new tank. the glass top panels were put inside the tank wrapped in bubble wrap,and taped to the bottom and sides of the tank. some of the sticky residue from the tape has remained although I took it offas carefully as I could . I have some "desolve It" but concerned this might cause problems with the tank. there is nothing in the tank yet. advice appreciated, thanks

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to AC!

4 4johanna , You can try using a single edge razor blade to remove the adhesive, some other options are a bit of vegetable oil or table salt rubbed into the tape residue and then remove the resulting gunk. Rinse out the aquarium with warm water and a rag to remove any oil or salt.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome 4johanna.

You can also try using a bit of paper towel with rubbing alcohol on it to remove the tape residue. & like dudley said, rinse or at least wipe off any excess with a water damp paper towel. I wouldn't fret too much but do the best you can especially if it's in a place that will show. If you use a razor blade be careful not to damage the silicone seals in all the corner joins.

Are you new to fish keeping? There's a helpful sticky at the top of this forum that explains cycling before you get fish.

We'd love to hear more about your tank & plans for it. We can help before you make frustrating mistakes, we've been there, lol.

Reactions: dudley

4johanna

AC Members
Feb 18, 2022
Hi Thank you -- I have had fish tropical and cold water at different times for a number of years. Just starting again with a bigger tank, have not struck sticky tape stuck on the bottom of a tank before which was a sticky mess. Have a servery between the dining room and lounge - decided a tank might look a lot nicer. Only plan on cold water fish but having fun with it -looking forward to being able to add the fish t present !!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK 4johanna, I have to ask, are you Canadian or maybe British? Not an insult in any way, lol. Just trying to guess what a servery may be. It sounds like a window or open shelf between kitchen & dining room/lounge. Is that right? Forgive my American/oldster misunderstanding if I'm wrong.

We'd love to see pics when you're ready. It can be tricky to set up a "see-through" tank without a background. What fish will you keep? Tank size? Plants? I want to know & see please, but I know it's early days, no hurry...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ah, we need more Kiwis on AC, lol. I'm sure you have different fish availability & water issues. Keep us up on your tank, it sounds interesting

Last edited:

4johanna

AC Members
Feb 18, 2022
sorry second picture wont go smaller like the top one - a lot of work to be done to make it look reasonable

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
serv·er·y
/ˈsərvərē/
Learn to pronounce

noun
BRITISH

1. a counter, service hatch, or room from which meals are served.
    "both bars are serviced by a central servery"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store