Stocking a 10g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Ok, this thread is long overdue for an update. So, its been over a month since I last had my water tested. (man, I really should have bought a testing kit by now) I havent been doing great on taking care of my tanks lately, but I am back into the swing of things. And this week I only have 2 days of school, so doing daily water changes will be a lot easier. So, on the first sunday of november, I will head up to birds and beast and hopefully have them test my water. After that, I will go based on the results. If it is ready, I will bring the other fish back (I dont care if I get store credit or not, I want them gone) and then I can get the neon tetras.

The sponge bob house was like moldy inside. I didnt really like it in the first place so I threw it out and got a rock formation thing for the tank. I also got another 3 pack of plastic plants. I might put one of the smaller ones in the 10g somewhere when I finalize the layout I want, but they were really bought for when I put the betta in the 5g so he has more stuff to hide behind. I am kind of curious as to what he is going to do when I put him in there. If his is going to swim right to his little plant that is with him right now or if he will explore and sometimes go to his old plant thing.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
you should really buy your own test kit. theyre worth it. also plastic plants can harm bettas fins. silk or live plants would be better. in this hobby keeping up with water changes is a must!!! even when i broke my leg and had a cast and crutches i still did the water changes weekly(Im so glad i have a boot now so i can do them daily in my fry tanks)

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I know that I was really bad about the water changes. But after this week, my schedual should be pretty regular and I will keep alarms set on my phone to tell me when to clean my tanks in case I forget. As for the plants, I want silk plants, but I havent found them around here. The plants I got for him are more like tall grass, nothing should be too sharp. He hangs out in a "betta plant" as marketed by petco. It seems kind of sharp to me, or at least really pointy and he likes to swim right into it and hang out there. He swims around fine and doesnt appear to be harmed by it. I have watched him closely since he hangs out in that plant so much. I dont know if fish have much common sense but if he got hurt by the plant, wouldnt he not hang out in it most of the time? Of course it could be that he is stuck in pain. I plan on getting silk plants for him, just not right now.

I have looked and looked and the only test kit that I can find locally is the api master kit for $39. I know that I can get that cheaper other places. I know this seems backwards, but when I am done cycling the tank, I will get a test kit no matter how tempting my other hobbies are. So that way I can keep a close eye on my more sensitive fish.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
I know that I was really bad about the water changes. But after this week, my schedual should be pretty regular and I will keep alarms set on my phone to tell me when to clean my tanks in case I forget. As for the plants, I want silk plants, but I havent found them around here. The plants I got for him are more like tall grass, nothing should be too sharp. He hangs out in a "betta plant" as marketed by petco. It seems kind of sharp to me, or at least really pointy and he likes to swim right into it and hang out there. He swims around fine and doesnt appear to be harmed by it. I have watched him closely since he hangs out in that plant so much. I dont know if fish have much common sense but if he got hurt by the plant, wouldnt he not hang out in it most of the time? Of course it could be that he is stuck in pain. I plan on getting silk plants for him, just not right now.

I have looked and looked and the only test kit that I can find locally is the api master kit for $39. I know that I can get that cheaper other places. I know this seems backwards, but when I am done cycling the tank, I will get a test kit no matter how tempting my other hobbies are. So that way I can keep a close eye on my more sensitive fish.
you can get it for 21 dollars on walmarts website with free shipping to your store.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Ok, can I get a link to the specific one? I know walmart sells a few online but they all get mixed reviews. I dont want to buy utter crap, but I am not expecting to get a huge set of a ton of stuff. Just like ammo, nitrites, nitrates, and ph.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
if you're going to wait until you're cycled, you're wasting your time and money. you've already spent your kit money on gas and extra fish you didn't need.

the only thing i'd say that would change that IMO would be if you're going to try and understand the chemistry angle and get a whole lot more tests than just nh3/4, no2, no3 and ph.

reason i say this is your setup is very simple and any issues at this point have the same solution vice maybe a disease or parasites which the tests won't tell you how to proceed anyway... and half the solution would be more w/c's anyway.

so... any sign of problems - do extra w/c's.
still signs - do them more often and larger
still signs once you're doing them twice daily - buy a new kit and test your tap/source water as well as the tank

serious issues - look up the disease/parasite in question and find a forum goer with enough knowledge and a big enough heart to walk you through any possible solutions to your issue............. AND continue with more/bigger w/c's...

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Ok. With the fish, I am supposed to get store credit on them if I bring them back alive. I dont care if it is half of what I paid for them, I want them gone and this whole thing to be done. (the cycling of the tank). Then when I get the neons and guppies in the 10g and betta in 5g, hopefully it will be smooth sailing from then. Man, If I just would have been better about water changes and stuff the past while, I could probably be done by now. Oh well, live and learn.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Ok, so latter today I am heading up to test the water. Hopefully I have done a good enough job to get it ready. Only reason im going today is because I will be in the area to get something from hobbytown. (dont worry what I need is only a $1 antenna tube for my revo)

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Ok, so since I cant edit, I have to tripple post. I had the tap water tested (it never was before) and I had the tank water tested. They said I was very close, the only thing holding me back was one of the things that starts with the n. I forgot which one it was, but he said if one was high, the other was likely to be high. Doesnt the cycle go they are high for like a week, then they just drop and that is pretty much the end of the cycle?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store