Stocking advice for a planted 92 corner tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I bought a couple of "low light" packages from a local guy and got a little bit of crystalwort, frogbit, rotala rotund, cork val, green crypt, stargrass, thai moss, ludwigia repens, duckweed, anubias nana. I didn't really have a lot of time to plan a layout, and didn't want to put anything in the back u til my new light(s) get here, so I ended up with this, which I think will be temporary.

IMG_20170312_083105.jpg

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
BTW, the shells are there as a concession to my daughters, and it kills me a little bit every time that I see them. :)

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Convinced the girls that the snail that they saw needed a home, and moved an anubias. I think that the horizontal section on the right needs some Java ferns across it.

IMG_20170312_155522.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Where are the shells & post-its?!? Your poor little girls! They try to participate in your hobby & get no input? LOL! Maybe some fish & tank art for the fridge?

Yeah, I like the java fern on the right horizontal wood idea. Maybe "Phillippine", a little smaller than "regular" or "narrow"?

I'd get that duckweed outta there! There's no such thing a "some". I've gotten it down to ~20 a few times but it's very high maintenance to "control" it. Try red root floater or maybe salvinia.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Where are the shells & post-its?!? Your poor little girls! They try to participate in your hobby & get no input? LOL! Maybe some fish & tank art for the fridge?

Yeah, I like the java fern on the right horizontal wood idea. Maybe "Phillippine", a little smaller than "regular" or "narrow"?

I'd get that duckweed outta there! There's no such thing a "some". I've gotten it down to ~20 a few times but it's very high maintenance to "control" it. Try red root floater or maybe salvinia.
The shells are still in the right corner. I have come to the conclusion that I have set the plants up backwards. I think I want to move the crypts toward the front, and put the stems all a little further back. I want to get some fish this weekend, but my nitrites are being stubbornly slow at dissipating. I might even get some onion/aponogeton/Lily bulbs to put in the back. I have had aponogetons in a taller tank ( 35 hex) before and they did ok. I really need to get the bigger, remote sump set up. It would make water changes so much easier and add 60 gallons to the system.

Mondaygirl

AC Members
Mar 13, 2017
Southern Ontario, Canada
What an amazing tank I can't wait to see what it will look like once stocked. It's amazing what a difference the plants make, they make the tank come alive. Awesome job so far!

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
What an amazing tank I can't wait to see what it will look like once stocked. It's amazing what a difference the plants make, they make the tank come alive. Awesome job so far!
Thanks, it looks better in person. Not green like it shows up when I take pics.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Also, new lights will be in tomorrow. How many tetras would one be able to safely stock with about a dozen Cory's in a tank that is cycled without fish and has about 160 gallons total volume?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A bunch of tetras, 6 or even maybe 10 at a time! But keep an eye on water parameters. It would help if your plants were faster growers. Be prepared to change a lot of water & use Prime for ammonia or nitrite spikes...daily if WCs are not possible (you might have a life beyond fish tanks!?!)

I forget after 4 pages...do you have a QT tank?

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
A bunch of tetras, 6 or even maybe 10 at a time! But keep an eye on water parameters. It would help if your plants were faster growers. Be prepared to change a lot of water & use Prime for ammonia or nitrite spikes...daily if WCs are not possible (you might have a life beyond fish tanks!?!)

I forget after 4 pages...do you have a QT tank?
No qt tank. I thought I'd be able to handle more after a fishless cycle than that though at my volume. The fast growing angle is the reason that I kept the duckweed. It's not as hard to get rid of with an overflow. Once I get my sump tank in and plumbed, I will have the pump plumbed to be diverted to the drain to quickly empty the sump for water changes, making it pretty easy. I will also have a recirculation loop to keep the filter moving while the water equilibrates to the correct temperature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store