Stocking help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swboy2019

AC Members
Jan 13, 2020
So I’m getting a 20 gallon long system with an 800L/per hour filter system and I’m kinda looking for something big ish I have had a 20 gallon previously but only had small fish and am hoping for something bigger, I’m willing to spend as much as necessary just want a pair or even just 1 decent sized fish min 5 inches

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Are there any particular fish you are interested in keeping or that are available near you?

Swboy2019

AC Members
Jan 13, 2020
I have thought about a lone Oscar but my tank would be to small and then I thought maybe a pair of discus but I sorta wanna find something more aggressive and interesting, don’t get me wrong discus are cool and full of colour but they’re very slow and boring to watch for a species only tank

BearUNDOcondalo

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2019
discus are WAYYYYYYY to big for a 20 gallon long, if your looking for fish that are around 5 inches, maybe a group of 5-6 kuhli loaches might fit ( i am in no way a fish expert, someone will correct me later.) they might be a little tricky with care.

EDIT- kuhli loaches get like 4 inches max, so maybe a little too small for your liking

Swboy2019

AC Members
Jan 13, 2020
I’ve even thought about getting 1 maybe 2 goldfish on the smaller side, I understand they create a lot of waste but I was looking at a weekly maybe 2 weekly water changes

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Goldfish is actually a worse idea as discus; read this

You could go with rosy barbs, they are like small goldfish. There are varieties in different colors and fancy tailed as well. You could easily have several of them in a 20.

In reality a 20 gallon is too small for any 4+ inch fish, no matter the water changes and filtration.

If rosy barbs ain't "aggressive" enough you could go with 1 paradise fish? (like goldfish both rosy barbs and paradise fish don't require a heater )

Last edited:

Swboy2019

AC Members
Jan 13, 2020
Could your recommend another interesting pair of fish then, I want to keep it simple 1 or 2 with decent size and colour. temperament doesn’t bother me at this point

BearUNDOcondalo

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2019
Apistogramma cacatuoides
male female pair
might make a nice addition
(like i said, i am in no way a fish expert, so someone will correct me soon if i got something wrong)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think it's great that you're going with a 20g long tank. 20 longs and 29's have a nice footprint for a small tank.

Problem is, you want fish that aren't appropriate for this size tank. You could do a single fancy goldfish by itself in a 20gal long, but you'd need a 29g to do two of them.

Another possibility is a single gourami. Maybe a pearl or a blue or gold and then some small fish like zebra danios, cardinal tetras, etc.

I'm not familiar with cichlids other than amazon river types to make a suggestion there and none of them would 'fit' in a 20g long.

Swboy2019

AC Members
Jan 13, 2020
I would never want harm a fish I’m just trying to find an appropriate match as I’m still in school and don’t want to deal with multiple fish at a time I just want my pretty pair or solo fish to feed once or twice a day and do a few weekly water changes on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store