Stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dyl123

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
I currently have a 40 gallon breeder, it’s fully cycled, the PH is at 7.0 and the temp is set at 26 degrees, in the aquarium I currently have;
1 male juvenile Firemouth
6 Buenos Aires tetra
Could anyone suggest anything else to put in this tank, haven’t got any preferences so any suggestion helps.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
More Buenos aires tetras, they do best in schools, you have 3 pairs. Though it is a bit warm for them, they are not a tropical fish...

Reactions: CichlidFins

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, I don't translate C to F temps well oops. Firemouths are good at 73-75 F so like 24C I think...it's been years since we kept them. It's not like you're trying to breed them...

As tl said, more schoolers are good, but I haven't kept BAs. If you have to add another kind of fish, I'd go with a BN pleco...if you have 3-5 places the FM & BN can each claim as territories; under rocks or wood.

Reactions: Dyl123

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Buenos aires tetras are subtropical, and like lower temperatures, 16 to 25 degrees. Like white cloud minnows and such, not a great pick for a tank with tropical temperatures.

Dyl123

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
Buenos aires tetras are subtropical, and like lower temperatures, 16 to 25 degrees. Like white cloud minnows and such, not a great pick for a tank with tropical temperatures.
From all the research I’ve done it says BA tetras thrive at a temp of 26 degrees?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I've never seen that, it is one of the subtropical fishes commonly recommend for an unheated tank. Look up Buenos aires on the map, it is not in the tropics... they survive at 26, but thriving is something else. Just as that keeping them with half a dozen is enough, all good articles should say it's not. But then there are enough people that claim that goldfish need to be heated to tropical temperatures as well.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store