Suggestions for my Urban Grunge, Pollution, Industrial Waste Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
I love this idea and have several images floating around my head. Broken bricks might work, plastic bottles, glass pieces (maybe), the plastic rings that go on a six pack of cans (but only if you have fish small enough to fit through the rings, otherwise you could have big problems).Also, the water should look dirty. I'd paint the background to be a mix of greens and browns, perhaps fading from brown at the bottom to green towards the top. I'd also let algae grow as it wishes. For substrate, I'd use a mix of sand and medium-ish size rocks (2-3" range). Also, driftwood and plants mixed in with the trash would make it look more authentic, IMO. Of course, this is all what I'd do if I were doing the tank. You might want something else. Also, if it were me, I wouldn't use toy miniatures; I'm envisioning a tank that's a cross-section of something you might find out in an urban area.

Also, I believe somebody on here made little nuclear waste barrels for a tank for their dad. I can't remember who. I'll see if I can find it.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
the lil nuclear waste barrels i believe was biomajorstudent, if i recall correctly.

krylon paint is safe for use in aquariums.

Knoxx

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Wisconsin
I think a small toilet seat would look great, plus it would be a symbol representing the raw sewage and manure that finds it way into our water ways.

Flamfish

AC Members
Jun 27, 2009
Mt Carmel Pa
www.myspace.com
The train was my first thought as well. I immediately thought of the trains they are dumping in the ocean to replicate the dying coral reefs.

I love the nuclear power plant idea. I'm sure you could find a simpsons power plant at a toy store.

adding condoms and or tampons would be sufficiently disgusting. (Every time I go to a concert I park next to either a condom or a tampon and it never fails to gag me, LOL)

how large do upside-down catfish grow? Non fish keepers would be thoroughly convinced you've poisoned the water, haha. Maybe something small that looks like an eel. is there such a thing?

a few drops of food color would make the water look dirty. I don't think it would hurt the fish any but I would ask the people with more fish experience about that first.

Look forward to the pics.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
There are black pipes that you get at the hardware store--I forget the name, but they're usually on the same aisle as the pvc pipes. They're safe for potable water. I have them in my tanks, and they're fine. They come in lots of industrial-looking shapes that remind me of plumbing, like u-shapes and t-shapes. (I guess they ARE plumbing :)) Added bonus, fish love hiding in them.

Oh, and I'd stock it with upside-down catfish and parrotfish. All those fish look totally deformed :) The catfish just look freaky when they swim, and those poor hybrid parrotfish can't shut their mouths all the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store