Suicidal plecos????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Your pH is fine. Don't mess with it...it will only cause more pain to you and the future inhabitants of the tank.
Yes, 8.4 is fine for almost all fish (except some delicate wild-caught ones) as long as they are properly acclimated to your tank, and trying to adjust your pH with chemicals will only cause more and more problems.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
You need to get a testing kit, you also need to learn how to properly stock a tank. Also, fine gravel/sand isn't going to solve your missing fish problems, keeping a list of your stock, checking your stock daily and basic care will solve 90% of your problems. It sounds like you don't take care of your tank properly, that's all.

Why would you ever put a rock bass or even a MUSKIE in a 29g tank?

I can't believe nobody has lost their mind over that yet. I don't want to sound harsh, but you are completely overstocking your tank(s) and if taken care of properly you should suffer little fish loss. You should never own any size aquarium without all the proper testing kits you need to do at home!

Would you buy a dog & never take it to the Vet for it's shots, heartworm, etc? No. Do the same for your tanks.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
to be fair, fishkeeping is a learning process, and if it never occurs to a person to ask a question before there is a problem, the only way they learn is crisis by crisis (i ranted about this very thing a while ago). its aggravating to those who have done the research, but now its time to pass on useful info.

and Dan06 is right. your tank is overstocked. even a 55 is too small for a ghost knife. you need to learn to plan ahead for the future of the fish. most live well past a year. ghost knife fish grow up to 20". you need something in the hundreds of gallons to keep them. do everyone here a favor and look up the fish you want to get on this forum or on google or on other forums. your fish will really thank you for proper care.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
so, I finally had my water tested last night, the tests came back.... ammonia 10 ppm, nitrite 10ppm, nitrate 20 ppm, and ph 9.0+(she said it's normal ph for this area????) any natural ways I can lower ph??? ammonia and nitrite make sense, since I just combined my 2 tanks after the fireworks settled down a couple of days ago. I also had talked to my dad, he used to have an angel tank about 20 years ago. my mom had went and bought a few blue paradise gouramis "to add color to the tank". they got along fine for about a year, then one day my dad came home to find all 10 angels dead, apparently from the gouramis....
I highty doubt 10 angels getting killed by gouramis overnight.. sounds like water issues there also. After a year of getting along, 10 angels dying after you come home one day is not right. Seems like you've lost A LOT of fish lately. I'd take a step back and see what you were doing and how you are going about things. Please be careful with your future fish stock, and goodluck

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Don't even think of getting a BGK until you have your weekly maintenance under control and your tank is FULLY cycled. They are very sensitive and when the levels go out of whack they feel it.

Minimum to keep a tank healthy - in a properly stocked tank (without plants):

1. Weekly vac - of the entire bottom
2. Weekly W/C - at least 30%
3. If your fish start acting funny - TEST!!!

You can't 'see' what is hurting them but you can test for it.

We have all been through crisis situations with our tanks in one form or another. We (most of us) have learned at the expense of the fish we were trying to care for.

People on this forum are offering you excellent advice and they are always here when you run into something new. Please take the advice.

camber1981

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Genoa, IL
after several weeks my move is completed. I am going to relocate my 55 this weekend. for right now, i've got the population stabilzed, and haven't had any losses in about a month. well, almost none. when i went to my dad's to do my weekly maintenance yesterday, my big cray had attacked one of my mollies and was eating it alive. somebody went for a swim. as of 2 hours ago, the molly was still alive, though. i'm just going to concentrate on maintaining my current population until i can upgrade to a much larger tank in the spring, likely a 90 with 2" river stones and reverse flow ug and a magnum 350. at that point i'll decide where to go from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store