Sunlight’s other tank journal (20g version)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's what I keep telling my husband! He's still not on board...I see no signs of his weakening...I'll keep nagging for what it's worth...maybe someday...I think koi would be cool too, but I might prefer weather loaches nibbling my toes, lol!

Reactions: Sunlight

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
My sweet little loaches are showing their nocturnal side! I just came home and found 4 swimming up against the glass in the same pattern that my frog does (in a rainbow shape from one end of the tank to another). I also managed to make out loach-like movement among the rocks, so I think everyone is doing good! They definitely seem to be darkening up already, which is also good! I think I’m just going to have to feed that tank directly before lights out (or after, even) so that they feel more comfortable to search for food.

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
I made a rookie mistake. I didn’t realize danios were jumpers until I just found one of them shriveled on the floor. Feeling sad and guilty, but you live and you learn. Gonna cover the hole in the lid with ceran wrap until we make the clear lid. Darn! Now I only have 4 zebra danios, but their behavior has not changed at all. I’m considering not restocking them and just let the rest live out their days, as this is not the stocking I ultimately want to go for. I’d love to get to the point where I have the kuhlis, some sparkling gouramis , and a school of ember tetras. Thoughts?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Danios can live a surprisingly long time. I was given 10 or 12 & over the years all but 2 have died. I'd like different fish but I'm still waiting... I'm not sure how long their previous owner had them, I've had them 5+ years. If you don't want to wait you could see if your lfs (not a chain) will take them. I know the danio jumping guilt too. We had giant danios & thought they'd mostly died & been eaten...until we moved & found some very old dried bodies behind the stand. Any fish can jump...

I think your next fish sound ok but I've never kept either. Sparklers might be shy with rowdier fish around, it'd be a shame if they hid all the time...

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Congratulations for the new tank, I think your fish selection will be interesting, I love Trichopsis gouramis, in fact I have learned to love gouramis species after I got my pair of T. chuna. I hope you can find a home for your danios.

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
ACADAABE-5FCF-4FD9-8BDF-7D6573C53B53.jpeg
Here’s how it’s looking after today’s water change/replant session! The nitrates were almost at 40 and that’s past my comfort zone so I went ahead and did a w/c and didn’t add any ferts. The plants are growing like crazy :) I also finally got the 10 to how I want it to look (which unfortunately meant taking the Java ferns out cause they didn’t match the color scheme I wanted). Now I have a bunch of Java ferns/Anubias that need to go somewhere. Considering seeing how they look in this tank? I really don’t like the dark green color they have, I prefer the lighter green/yellow hues/pinks of all of the other plants. So I might just give them all away on Facebook marketplace.

anyway! That’s a lot of rambling. I’m loving this tank a lot, no complaints.

Reactions: the loach

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I like the contrast of dark green with yellow-green or reddish plants...& you & I know the sword is temporary in your smallish tank...that's my 2 cents worth of opinion...I do think your tank looks great! Is this the kuhli's tank? I think so...Give it some time...see what happens. Java ferns could replace the sword...eventually. Maybe a bucket with a light over it for a while with the javas & anubias?

I know you want a pretty tank right now! But be patient, no rash decisions yet, your tank is pretty nice already! Go slow with changes...

It's good you're getting a grip on those high nitrates, I try to keep mine well under 20ppm...Ohmm, patience!!

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Well, I like the contrast of dark green with yellow-green or reddish plants...& you & I know the sword is temporary in your smallish tank...that's my 2 cents worth of opinion...I do think your tank looks great! Is this the kuhli's tank? I think so...Give it some time...see what happens. Java ferns could replace the sword...eventually. Maybe a bucket with a light over it for a while with the javas & anubias?

I know you want a pretty tank right now! But be patient, no rash decisions yet, your tank is pretty nice already! Go slow with changes...

It's good you're getting a grip on those high nitrates, I try to keep mine well under 20ppm...Ohmm, patience!!
Hehe yeah patience is definitely something I have to work on. I’m very hands-on with my tanks, constantly moving things around and doing DIYs. I kind of just want to let everything in here sit and grow and see how it does without changing too much. The stem plants are starting to grow already so I could potentially propagate and spread them to where the sword is once it’s gone. It’s just the excitement of a new tank, ya know? I just want to add to it and add to it until it’s exactly what I want. Although, I can’t exactly say it’s just because the tank is new... I change up my 10g a lot. I just constantly have the feeling of “meh... I could do better.” Perfectionist, I know. ?‍♀

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store