Tadpoles.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Be patient, though, and you may have some of your local frogs colonize on their own. It depends on how close you are to a source population, but as mentioned above juvenile frogs often disperse far from their natal pond and colonize new waters.
The problem is, I don't live near any ponds that have frogs, and I can't find any lakes near me that have them. I don't think that frogs would be willing to go all the way to my pond either. There is no chance whatsoever of me getting tadpoles by just waiting. The only way I can get them is by buying them. And I was only gonna buy one.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
The problem is, I don't live near any ponds that have frogs, and I can't find any lakes near me that have them. I don't think that frogs would be willing to go all the way to my pond either. There is no chance whatsoever of me getting tadpoles by just waiting. The only way I can get them is by buying them. And I was only gonna buy one.
Mudd, why do you post on here, if you wont listen to anyone? You made a comment earlier about using crays or tadpoles to cycles your pond, yet you said you have the bacteria rings. Sit down, get your story straight. Do you do any research on any species you want in the pond/tanks you have? Crays require really good water quality. or else they die fast and make things worse, then if they do survive, any smaller fish you have that will grow the size you want will be food. When the crays will be food for the raccoons. read a book and actually listen before you do something else stupid. Don't be dumb enough to release exotic species in your area. Last thing you need is more regulation of the fish keeping hobby, but you seem hell bent on giving them a reason to pass more laws.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Mudd, why do you post on here, if you wont listen to anyone? You made a comment earlier about using crays or tadpoles to cycles your pond, yet you said you have the bacteria rings. Sit down, get your story straight. Do you do any research on any species you want in the pond/tanks you have? Crays require really good water quality. or else they die fast and make things worse, then if they do survive, any smaller fish you have that will grow the size you want will be food. When the crays will be food for the raccoons. read a book and actually listen before you do something else stupid. Don't be dumb enough to release exotic species in your area. Last thing you need is more regulation of the fish keeping hobby, but you seem hell bent on giving them a reason to pass more laws.
I would like it if you called me markgilst.
I made the comment about using tadpoles to cycle a pond before I got the bacteria rings. Now that I have the bacteria, that post is useless.
The only other things I wanted in my pond were a few minnows from my local lake and tadpoles from a lake/other person's pond, and a few other things.
Why would I release something out into my area? I made this thread so people could help me find tadpoles and frogs in long beach.

Last edited:

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
That's what I'm trying to tell you, Mark- if you buy tadpoles from the petstore and put them in your pond, you WILL be releasing exotics into the area.

There may be a local pond society you could contact. I bet some of its members have plenty of tadpoles and fish they would be willing to share.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Please do not release these non native tadpoles into your pond. As a local of Long Beach California I feel it would only serve in the best interest of my community to report you to the proper authorities.

Not trying to be mean....only trying to save the local ecology.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
I would like it if you called me markgilst.
I made the comment about using tadpoles to cycle a pond before I got the bacteria rings. Now that I have the bacteria, that post is useless.
The only other things I wanted in my pond were a few minnows from my local lake and tadpoles from a lake/other person's pond, and a few other things.
Why would I release something out into my area? I made this thread so people could help me find tadpoles and frogs in long beach.
Mark, Like the others are saying, tadpoles grow up to be frogs. If you are unclear of the fast look in a biology book. and you have said quite the contrary. You've mentioned in both chat and an another thread that you want to have these frogs in your pond. You don't seem to get what anyone is telling you, or you would rather do these things without regard to the environment outside your pond. It's very arrogant to think that because you have a pond that your aquatic organisms will ever leave. If you look into it you will see that even aquatic species of plants are banned from certain parts of the country. DO everyone a favor and before you consider getting ANYTHING else for the pond )or whatever aquariums you rope your parents in to buying for you) read up on how invasive species were introduced to areas and the impact on the environment. You mentioned that you have these bacterial rings, do you not understand that even with the rings the pond still needs to cycle? The reason I come down on you time and time again is your complete lack of regard for the health of your aquatic systems, and lack of planning for them. Most of us have given you advice when you asked for help, only to have you just ignore us or tell us that we are wrong. You seem to have this idea that when you tell us something we don't fully understand what you are doing and why. When we ask you questions about your setup you gloss over as much as you can so you can try to hear only what you want. Frankly, I know a few of us are tired of this game you keep playing.
I called you Mudd because of your user name, and until now that is all I knew of your name. I'm not going to apologize if I've insulted you, because it shows the extent that you have completely frustrated me and a few others here. In short, do your research on the needs of animals you want to have, and not just if you can get them.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
PLEASE DO NOT BUY TADPOLES TO PUT IN YOUR POND. Those frogs are HORRIBLE to ecosystems. And they WILL become a part of the ecosystem. There are ENOUGH nonnative species in Socal. PLEASE do not contribute to the problem.

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
if you want frog call the Game and Fish department for native frogs near you and go get them if you can.If not than you can't.Sometimes you can't get everything you want in life.It's plain and simple, the end.

Darkness9876

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
No Where Kansas
:iagree: You can only get what you want sometimes. Everything won't always go your way.

I suggest that you contact The state wildlife department and ask them (POLITLEY AND PATIENTLY) if you can collect some local frogs for your pond. If you can I am sure they would be more than glad to direct you to a place where you can collect them.

HOWEVER:

If they tell you how many you can have only take that many.

If they tell you a specific kind only take that kind.

If they tell you a specific place only collect them there.

If they say no, just say ok and move on.

And research them before you collect them. Make sure you can properly provide for them and that your habitat mimicks theirs as closley as it can.

Also be aware that as frogs absorb all the water they need through their skin any chemicals you put on your yard or run into your yard will be very detrimental to your frogs. Amphibians and fish can concentrate heavy metals and chemicals 20+ times in their system compared to the levels in their environment because they absorb them and they eat things that also concentrate them.

Just use the little common sense you have. Be respectfull to the environment. Its the only one we'll ever get.

And yes I agree that its people like you that are ruining everyone elses opportunities to own fish. Even though you didnt do it without us practically screaming at you, you would have most likley bought them.

If people like you used a little more common sense than everyone would be able to enjoy more of our world and we would not have as many restrictions on our hobby.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
alright.. i think the point has been made. The op can make choices on his own, and nobody here can force otherwise. all we can do is persuade, and that's been done numerous times. :) thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store