Take a look at my cold water octopus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it!

I would just love to live near the ocean as you do. I always wanted to visit some tidal pools, and once talked my parents into driving to the Florida Keys for just that reason, but then my step-father's stupid parents threw a fit when I wanted to get out and look around(LOL, I sound like a complaining teenager again.)

I have always wanted a salty with a tiny octopus, you have reawakened my hunger, lol.

Kristina

StarStruck8

AC Members
Jun 9, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Lindsay
Wow...so pretty! I love the pinks, and the octopus too of course. :)

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
That's an AMAZING tank!!! I remember reading that octopi kept in captivity are very difficult to care for and rarely live for more than a few months. You're obviously doing a fantastic job by her :)

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
I have always wanted a salty with a tiny octopus, you have reawakened my hunger, lol.
You CAN keep an octopus if you do lots of homework first and take the time to learn up front, before you jump in. 98 percent of the people that keep octopus did not catch them, and don't live near the ocean. To learn how to do this go to www.tonmo.com and study up. There's even a book out now about how to keep octopuses. I recommend the species "O. Hummelincki" because they are similar to a bimac in personality, but you don't need a chiller (expensive) and they are a little smaller, so can be kept in a smaller tank. You can buy one online! (but do lots of learning and prep first!)

That's an AMAZING tank!!! I remember reading that octopi kept in captivity are very difficult to care for and rarely live for more than a few months. You're obviously doing a fantastic job by her :)
Octopusses are similar to salmon in that their natural life cycle is to breed, and then die. Their natural life span is only about a year (6 months to two years, depending on species). If you do your home work you probably won't kill an octopus, but it will die within 12 to 18 months even if you do everything right.
Full disclosure: Lefty laid (infertile) eggs in January, tended them for four months, refusing food all the while, as is normal, and died about two weeks ago. I'm trying to decide if I should go look for another young bimac, or collect some other, local animals. Octopusses like to move rocks and shells around, and the strawberry anemony got pretty beat up.

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
Very cool! I would love to see a FTS or two. Is she a trouble maker?
I'm guessing that "FTS" means "Full Tank Shot". I'll see what I've got.
She is (was) a trouble maker in that she eats most potential tank mates, likes to move shells and rocks around, which beat up the the strawberry anemone, and I caught her squirting water through the slits of my overflow and onto the wall once. I also had to design and build a latching, bolted down lid so that she couldn't escape.

I found three photos that are close to "Full Tank Shots".

190.JPG IMG_0841.JPG 189.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store