Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Take seeds out of Zucchini?

Discussion in 'Plecos' started by Dekk, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Dekk

Dekk Keeper of Hybrids

Sep 30, 2011
    Do you guys take seeds out of Zucchini? I have a 1.5" candy stripe pleco and he just started eating zucchini, was wondering if I should de-seed or not? I've also been microwaving a slice for 60 secs in water, is this necessary?

Was wondering because i've had this pleco for 5 or 6 days or so, and I think I finally got him to eat. He lays on top of the slice and looks like hes trying to eat it, but when I take it out, im not sure if any is missing from the slice. I dont know, maybe I dont notice any is gone because he's so small...

Thanks.

2. pinkertd

pinkertd Moderator

Debbi
    Jul 27, 2016
    Debbi
    Most of the time I do not take the seeds out before feeding. They plecs eat around the seeds and you will undoubtedly have some floating seeds here and there. If it is a young plec, try microwaving the zucchini for 10-20 seconds without the water so that the zucchini flesh actually softens up a bit. I do this for my plec fry, otherwise the zucchini is too firm for them to suck loose. Even a small plec with leave tiny marks where they've sucked in some of the zucchini, I think it's not soft enough for him. When he gets bigger, no need to microwave any more.

3. swinneyw

swinneyw AC Members

Feb 8, 2013
    i micowave my zucchini fo 90 seconds after i wash it and slice it down the center i leave the seeds in i have 4 plecos and they love it even fight over it after 24 hours its nearly all gone i put it on a clip that i got at petsmart if it don't eat it at first put a fresh piece in every day or so he will get the idea that its good stuff

4. inkyjenn

inkyjenn AC Members

Apr 11, 2011
    if your fish is not eating, you can get him started with this:

get some rocks
    crush up some of your favorite fish foods
    separate an egg yolk from the white (keep the white, toss the yolk)
    mix up the fish food (now a powder) with the egg white
    pain the rocks with the egg/fish food mix
    let the egg white dry completely (takes a few hours if you use a fan to blow on it)
    drop in the rocks with the food on it either right before or right after lights out.

5. Sploke

Sploke resident boozehound
    Staff Member

Matt
    Nov 18, 2016
    Matt
    I usually cut the seeds out and the skin off, I got tired of chasing them around the tank afterward and having them clogging up powerheads.

6. beeZer350

beeZer350 Likes Expensive Hobbies :(

Jan 4, 2016
    Same here.

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka AC Members

Sep 15, 2017
    My BN's eat skin along with the rest, though they do eat around the seeds. I don't microwave, just stick in a skewer to sink it.

8. Dekk

Dekk Keeper of Hybrids

Sep 30, 2011
    Hey I saw this suggestion in my other thread, I was going to do this until I found my pleco sitting on a slice of zucchini I put in there (finally), so I think he's finally trying to eat, will keep this suggestion in mind thanks!:thm:

How do you guys de-seed your zucchini? I usually just cut about a 1/2" thick disc and been putting it in that way. Then I tried to de-seed the darn thing, and was told the best way was to take a whole zucchini, slice is longways into 1/4s, then take a knife and slice downwards to take the seeds out, but after I did this, there didn't seem to be much left of the actually inners.

Thanks for the replies!

9. Sploke

Sploke resident boozehound
    Staff Member

Matt
    Nov 18, 2016
    Matt
    thast how I did it, but I was dealing with a zucchini that had about a 6" diameter at the widest part...yeah it was huge.

10. LeahK

LeahK AC Members

Apr 16, 2015
    I don't usually take the time to do this, but to de-seed a zucchini, first cut it in half the long way. Then take a spoon and scrape against the seeds until you remove them all. If you do it right, you won't remove any of the seedless flesh.
    As for the egg whites and powdered food thing, I tried doing that for my otos once, but my barbs picked the egg white mixture off the rocks in about 5 minutes flat :irked: --the otos never even got close.