Tankmates for a Dwarf Gourami in 20g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
I've posted before about how I am cycling my second 20 g tank for my lone dwarf flame gourami. I'm interested in suggestions about other fish to possibly add.

Right now I'm thinking of moving my two bronze corys over and adding two more, but I'd also like to get other fish--perhaps some schooling fish like rasboras, tetras, or danios. I'm not super familar with any of these fish, so I don't know how many I'd need to get.

The good lfs store I just found (which is pretty awesome aquarium adventure, with lots of people who seem to know their stuff) suggested the rasboras, or mollys, or guppies, or tetras. I'm leaning toward the rasboras--but I read on the profile here that they like a low ph, and the tap water here is about 7.8.

If I were to get rasboras how many could I fit in a 20 gallon tank with a dwarf gourami and four large corys (they are almost 2 inches)?

Would there be room for additional fish?

I don't want to overstock this tank, and I want to do better research before I get any of the fish, so any suggestions would be great!

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
Also, are there any middle or lower level fish that could go in with the potential:

1 gourami
8 rasboras of some kind
4 cories

I've read that rasboras swim at the top of the tank, as does my gourami, so I'd like potentially to get something for the middle level.

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
In my 10g I am going to stock a powder blue gourami with 4 panda cories and 3 male guppies.

boofish2

show me your fish
Aug 5, 2006
right now I have with my dwarf flame gourami in my 25 gal. tank:
3 black skirt tetras
2 serpae tetras (awsome color)
4 panda coreys
2 Siamese algae eaters (super mellow and cool fish!!)
Everyone gets along real well although the Gourami being the biggest guy in the tank is definately the big boss man LOL!
Probably going to get 2 more black skirts and 3 more serpaes so they can school :)
HTH!

Nitro

Master fish looker atter
Jun 26, 2006
Lansing, MI
www.thenitro.net
I have a dwarf gourami in my 20g also. I would also suggest cardinal tetras. They are very colorful and active. You can see how I have my 20g stocked below. Everybody gets along great. My black fantoms are the most active of any of my fish. They love to chase eachother and are very fast and fun to watch.

boofish2

show me your fish
Aug 5, 2006
Nitro-
That's very funny, I was just looking at cardinal tetras on-line last night! I was thinking 5 cardinals, 5 black skirts, and 5 serpaes would look really nice!
The phantoms look very similar in shape and size to the serpaes -- cool looking.

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Why not try to get a couple of female Dwarf Gouramis? You could Keep your Gourami with 2 females and 4 Cory Cats. Rasboras swim in the middle.

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
I'd heard that it was very hard to find female dwarf gouramis. I have not seen them around before, and a couple of people here mentioned that they have to be special ordered. I'm thinking of getting the rasboras, but am not sure how many or which kind. The lfs had quite a number of different kinds--it is good to know they will be at the middle.

Though my gourami is enjoying swimming at all levels in his solitary splendor of his 20 g tank!

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
You might be able to ask your LFS if they could get some females for you. The big chain stores like Petsmart and Petco don't carry females but private owned stores could carry them. My LFS has had them in their store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store